Covid the jab and the final stage.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The narrowing of the gap between minimum wage and "professional" roles which require years of training, alongside pay stagnation in the public sector is one of the main bones of contention. It somewhat devalues the skill and expertise when there is such a little difference in remuneration.

I absolutely believe that minimum wage should be set at a level where people are able to exist without being in debt, but I also think that positions where years of university study required, as well as ongoing training, that salaries should be at a level that reflects that.

I enjoy the work I do, and it find it very rewarding, but the idea that I should be content with my lot because of the bizarre notion that nursing is seen as a vocation, is frankly insulting.

More than anything else, Bojo wants and needs the health sector to strike. Any future waves of illness, any future lockdowns, any increase in mortality and collapse of hospital services can then be laid fairly and squarely at the feet of the health workers. The ultimate get-out-of-jail-free card. If you imagine Bojo couldn't possibly be that callous, dream on.

The narrowing of the gap between minimum wage and "professional" roles which require years of training, alongside pay stagnation in the public sector is one of the main bones of contention. It somewhat devalues the skill and expertise when there is such a little difference in remuneration.

In that case those in the professional roles should demand a better wage giving the increase in the minimum wage as the reason, we shouldn't suggest those on a minimum wage are getting too much the argument should be those with higher skilled jobs have been under valued and under paid for years.

In that case those in the professional roles should demand a better wage giving the increase in the minimum wage as the reason, we shouldn't suggest those on a minimum wage are getting too much the argument should be those with higher skilled jobs have been under valued and under paid for years.

Oh definitely not. I don't begrudge those on minimum wage a cent.

Oh definitely not. I don't begrudge those on minimum wage a cent.

That comment wasn't aimed at you DD2 and i did get your point but its something you read a lot people need to flip the way they think about this there should never have been a reason to for a minimum wage if a company is making a decent profit they should pay a fair wage.

I am no tory supporter but do you honestly think Labour would have found new money to pay fot this?
After 10+ years in office I think comments about what Labour or any other party would / could do are a bit irrelevant. They sort of fall into the category of 'if your uncle had **** he'd be your aunt', that's not to say I necessarily disagree with your point.

My comment was more aimed at how Boris & Co have made great speeches about how valued the NHS is, made strong hints about making sure the nurses are rewarded, the commitment to patient care during this pandemic and then effectively ignoring the independent pay review board which - if memory serves - recommended the 3% pay rise pretty much across the board in the first place. The government then recommended that because of the state of finances because of the (same) pandemic we can only afford 1%.

Then at the last minute, in the face of generally a poor public response to the 1% they announce it's all OK we agree to 3%, only to find they are not funding it but taking it from the general NHS budget meaning some sort of cuts/ efficiencies will be needed elsewhere to balance the books.

In response to other comments about them getting a pay rise and comparisons with others / non NHS/private sector etc., the ONS publishes lots of data on averages salaries broken down by employment sectors. In general, the private sector has done OK over the last 12 months, certainly no worse than the public sector (suggested ~6% is the average but not sure I really believe it). Wages overall have risen apart from a dip at the start of the pandemic.

Problem with stats is you can make almost anything of them, back in the early 80's as a young lab tech I got a 10% pay rise. Blokes in production were livid 'We only got 6% (grumble mutter bitch & whine)'. My rise was worth £300, theirs around £750-900, suffice to say the Devil is in the detail.

While I know the vaccine isn’t 100% effective it is I think by this point unquestionably that it has significantly dropped the mortality rate (as well as the risk of serious illness). My parents are in their mid sixties and it was a huge relief when it hit four weeks since their second jab a few months ago. Likewise I am going to be greatly relieved when I get my second jab on the 10th August, even more so when it gets to the end of August and fingers crossed I will be fully vaccinated. Again it might not be perfect but it certainly moves the odds greatly in our favour to get vaccinated,

I expect stories like the above are going to become more and more common (both because they actually are and because like it or not having an article about a 34 year without apparent underlying health issues dying of Covid, will help to encourage people especially those who are just apathetic rather than completely anti vax to get vaccinated).

I expect stories like the above are going to become more and more common (both because they actually are and because like it or not having an article about a 34 year without apparent underlying health issues dying of Covid, will help to encourage people especially those who are just apathetic rather than completely anti vax to get vaccinated).

Fingers crossed.

Another day another social media post comes back to bite the sender on the ****.

Health Secretary Sajid Javid has apologised after saying people should no longer "cower" from coronavirus.

He made the comments in a tweet announcing he had made a "full recovery" from Covid, a week after testing positive.
Labour accused him of denigrating those who followed the rules, while the founder of a victims' group said his comments were "deeply insensitive".
Mr Javid said: "It was a poor choice of word and I sincerely apologise."
"I was expressing gratitude that the vaccines help us fight back as a society," he said.
In a new tweet, the health secretary also said he had deleted his earlier post, adding: "Like many, I have lost loved ones to this awful virus and would never minimise its impact."
Cower is defined by the Cambridge Dictionary as meaning to bend down or move backward with your head down because you are frightened.

The tweet on Saturday said: "Full recovery from Covid a week after testing positive. Symptoms were very mild, thanks to amazing vaccines.
"Please - if you haven't yet - get your jab, as we learn to live with, rather than cower from, this virus."
Nearly 70% of UK adults are now fully vaccinated, and 88% have had their first jab, according to the latest figures.
Every adult in the UK has now been offered a vaccine. But, amid a spike in cases caused by the Delta variant, the government has launched a series of appeals in recent weeks to encourage people who have not yet come forward to have their jab.

Mr Javid replaced Mr Hancock as health secretary last month after his predecessor stood down.
He tested positive for Covid on 17 July and spent the last week in self-isolation. The prime minister and chancellor also began self-isolating after they had come into contact with him.
The Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice group said Mr Javid was right to apologise.
The group's co-founder, Jo Goodman, said earlier that the "flippancy and carelessness" of Mr Javid's comment had "caused deep hurt and further muddied the waters of the government's dangerously mixed messaging".
Shadow justice secretary David Lammy also questioned his use of the word, saying: "Don't denigrate people for trying to keep themselves and their families safe."
Lib Dem health spokeswoman Munira Wilson said Mr Javid's tweet was "outrageous" and his "careless words have insulted every man, woman and child who has followed the rules and stayed at home to protect others".

Sajid Javid apologises for 'cower' Covid remark - BBC News

This was posted on twitter yesterday the comments make great reading.

RAF_Luton
@RAF_Luton

BREAKING:
A400 jet drops #CovidVaccine powder on #antivaxxers protesting against #VaccinePassports at the #LondonProtest in #TrafalgarSquare today.
Together will win win The War Against Transmission!
Photographed from a Canberra #AvGeek

1627216460743.png

To be fair, he did say that before it had actually killed him

Well he wouldn't have been able to say it after! ;)

He believed his god would save him yet the virus has killed many millions of people of all religions, did he think they were just unlucky?

Despite his struggle with the virus, Mr Harmon still said he would reject being jabbed, saying his religious faith would protect him.

I've seen the vaccine work first hand.
2 people I know got covid at the same time.
1 jabbed 1 not jabbed 1 young Ish 1 oldish. Young one laid up in bed for 2 weeks and difficulty breathing, not jabbed older one complained of having man flu but still poorly with less side effects of covid jabbed. Young one now wants vaccine asap. Make your own mind up what's happening.

The Wise One and I got our second dose on Saturday afternoon. Presented with a cerificate with a couple of QR codes to download an app and the vaccination certificate to show anyone who might have a ligit interest. Was told to expect a bit of a shaking after the second jab, but neither of us have suffered anything. I put it down to the immune-system-bolstering properties of home brew.

as for that idiot Semirani and her inane ramblings, I'd really like her to meet up with Patel in a dark alley late at night, both blindfolded and totally out of their heads on the stuff that made Breaking Bad such fun.

I've seen the vaccine work first hand.
2 people I know got covid at the same time.
1 jabbed 1 not jabbed 1 young Ish 1 oldish. Young one laid up in bed for 2 weeks and difficulty breathing, not jabbed older one complained of having man flu but still poorly with less side effects of covid jabbed. Young one now wants vaccine asap. Make your own mind up what's happening.
Why does he want to be vaccinated asap when he's effectively immunised already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back