Covid.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They have announced that a new version is spreading and 1 in 45 now have it last week it was 1 in 65.

BBC News -
Covid infections are up across the UK, according to latest figures that capture the Jubilee weekend of partying.
An estimated 1.4 million people or one in 45 has the virus - up from one in 65 the week before. That's a rise of 43%.
Experts say two new fast-spreading subvariants of Omicron -called BA.4 and BA.5 - are behind some of the new infections.
People can get catch them even if they have recently had other types of Covid.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS), which compiles the data, says it is too early to say if this is the start of another wave

Read full article BBC News.

1655483756965.png

Last edited:

BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron: How worried should we be?

Two new fast-spreading subvariants of Omicron are causing fresh surges of Covid around the world.
BA.4 and BA.5 were first identified in South Africa and may soon become the dominant strains in Europe and the US, health experts say.

What exactly are BA.4 and BA.5?

Ever since it first emerged, Covid has been mutating or shape-shifting. The new genetic versions that keep appearing are called variants.
There have been a few major variants already, such as alpha and delta, that have caused massive waves of infection.
The latest ones experts are concerned about - BA.4 and BA.5 - are very closely related to the Omicron variant behind last winter's wave.
They were added to the World Health Organization's monitoring list in March and have also been designated as variants of concern in Europe.

Where are they spreading?

They were spotted circulating in South Africa at the beginning of the year and now appear to be spreading much more quickly than other variants.
Most European countries now have them and they look set to overtake other types of Covid soon. That's already happened in Portugal - BA.5 is now dominant there.
In the US, officials say they are seeing rising numbers of infections caused by the two new subvariants.
Covid infections in the UK are also showing early signs of a possible rise, driven by BA.4 and BA.5.
Australia has reported cases too.

Will they be harmful?

Experts are unsure how hard countries will be hit.
BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron are not thought to be any more lethal than other types of Covid.
Lots of people have built up some immunity from past infections and vaccination, which is helping to make the disease less risky overall.
But the new subvariants do appear to be spreading more easily.
This is partly because immunity may be waning, but also because of the mutations the virus has undergone.
Many countries have also lifted their Covid restrictions, meaning people are mixing more, which gives the virus more chances to spread.
BA.4 and BA.5 appear to be able to infect people even if they've recently had other types of Omicron.
A wave of new infections could lead to more hospitalisations and some more deaths.

How can we protect against them?

As with other Covid variants, the risk or serious illness remains highest for people who are elderly, or who have significant underlying health conditions.
Although current vaccines are not a perfect fit, they are still the best line of defence.
They have cut the risk of severe illness against the other major Covid variants, including Delta, Alpha, Beta and Gamma.
Doctors say it is vital people get the recommended number of doses to gain maximum protection against existing and emerging variants.

How quickly could we get new vaccines against variants?

Updated versions of vaccines against Covid variants are already being designed and tested.
Manufacturers could scale up production quickly too, and regulators have already discussed how to fast-track the approval process.

Why do variants occur?

Viruses make carbon copies of themselves to reproduce, but they aren't perfect at it. Errors creep in that change the genetic blueprint, resulting in a new version of the virus.
If this gives the virus a survival advantage, the new version will thrive.
The more chances coronavirus has to make copies of itself in us - the host - the more opportunities there are for mutations to occur.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55659820

BBC Headline:

“Covid infections Up after Platinum Jubilee celebrations.”

We didn’t celebrate in Sleaford and as far as I’m aware, no-one threw a street party either! athumb..

The photo that accompanied the BBC Headline was of the crowd in The Mall; many thousands of people crowded together and not a “mask” in sight!

It reminded me of 1966 when Kenneth Wolstenholme said “They think it’s all over!”

Unfortunately I don’t see anyone saying his follow-up words in the near future!
:hat:

A bloke at work went to the TT and he and a few of the group he went with now have Covid its easy to forget its still with us as its not in the news every day but its obvious its not going to leave us any time soon.

Yes very true, they think it's all over it is now, keep listening to Boris he will see you right, my wife and i still live an active life have holidays and days out next week we are off to the IOW, as far as we are aware we have not had covid it is all about being sensible, i might add some times i wonder about the narrative in all this as in i don't know anybody who died from covid

i might add some times i wonder about the narrative in all this as in i don't know anybody who died from covid

SWMBO works in a care home she saw many die from it these were the ones they were sending back to the homes because the hospitals couldn't cope.

Hi Chippy i wasn't being flippant i honestly don't know anyone who died of covid
No worries i didn't take it that way.

Fortunately non of my relatives died of covid but a couple of the lads at work lost grand parents and one mother in law.

These new variants don't seem to be as dangerous as the original version so with luck the majority will feel a bit rough but get through it.

SWMBO and myself still wear our masks in shops, trains, buses etc!

We have avoided Covid so far, have had all four vaccination/booster jabs; and it seems the height of stupidity for us to stop taking precautions having come this far!

Our caution is somewhat tempered by the fact that the lifting of restrictions has been driven by a corrupt PM, who is desperate to hold on to power and the fact that our 80th birthdays are fast approaching; an event that both of us want to celebrate by being alive!
:hat:

How do we know people are catching it without testing

You can still get a free test if your GP has said you need one -

The rules for COVID-19 testing in England have changed

Most people in England can no longer get free tests.

However, you may still be able to get free tests, if for example:

• you're eligible for COVID-19 treatments
  • you're being admitted into hospital
  • you work in the NHS or in adult social care
  • your GP or healthcare professional has recently asked you to get a test

Why do you need a test?

You've been asked to take a test by a doctor or healthcare professional, or you're eligible for COVID-19 treatments, or you're being admitted into hospital
You've been asked to take a test because you work for the NHS, or an NHS-commissioned independent healthcare provider, or in adult social care
or
Another reason

Order your kit here -
https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests

Covid appears to be increasing again.
27th November to 3rd December up by 12%.

Pretty significant considering hardly anybody is testing or reporting now.

Covid appears to be increasing again.
27th November to 3rd December up by 12%.

Pretty significant considering hardly anybody is testing or reporting now.

Data will be extrapolated from incidence in hospitals where testing is still routine.

3 of my colleagues are currently off with COVID. It's not going anywhere.

It won't be big news again until it mutates and starts to kill hundreds every day.

Latest posts

Back