Craft Beer & Brewing magazine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E
Ingredients for Black Ops order via the wonders of Get er Brewed recipe builder. Couldnt get Summit hops for bittering so swapped out for Columbus. Also switched yeast to old faithful US-05 as I prefer dried yeast. I'll report back in 6 months, all going well! đź‘Ť
Excellent mate

Great book, I have it too, BYO were offering a discounted membership recently so I signed up for it rather than beer and brewing, which BTW I think is a great publication and website.
Yup, that's how they got me hooked too :) But it's worth it.

The best brewing books IMHO

Home Brew Beer - Greg Hughes
How To Brew - John Palmer
Brewing Better Beer - Gordon Strong

Those books in order of increasing complexity

Also, Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff is a good starting point for generic recipes. BYO recipe mags or online subscription are great for recipes including clones.

I have bunch more books but they are just gathering dust

My stash:

Hops (Hieronymous)
Radical brewing (Mosher)
The compleat meadmaker
The complete joy of homebrewing (Papazian)
Brew it yourself
Homebrew Beer
Vintage Beer (Ron Pattinson)
Brew your own british ale (CAMRA)
Designing Great Beers
Brew
Water
Yeast
Malt
Historical Brewing Techniques (Lars Garshol)

I've been tempted to subscribe to Craft Beer & Brewing magazine many times and may take the plunge one day. It's my go-to place for recipes - there are a lot of dodgy ones out there but I feel I can trust theirs as I've had some great results.

A little while ago they were offering a free copy of the edition about IPA, I don't know if they still are.
It's a good rag although quite a few adverts and almost all promoting American kit.

Completely agree with Hew's Brews in that the recipes, usually courtesy of a US brewery are really interesting.

We'll worth the ÂŁ4 Inc postage from the States for each issue. You can't buy a magazine in this country for that money!!

Their 'Make your best...' series of recipes are great. I've made two of them and really enjoyed them. The guy who writes them says when hes deviated from a traditional recipe and gives a good representation of the final beer in his description.

The recipes are good in my experience but they often use the wrong stock pictures. Take the picture of the Salzberger Vienna Lager it looks like a normal lager but if you look at recipe with 85g of chocolate malt you know it can't be right. Then if you google for other examples of the style you find it it is indeed an amber/light brown colour.

The recipes are good in my experience but they often use the wrong stock pictures. Take the picture of the Salzberger Vienna Lager it looks like a normal lager but if you look at recipe with 85g of chocolate malt you know it can't be right. Then if you google for other examples of the style you find it it is indeed an amber/light brown colour.

I'd actually noticed that in the latest issue. To be fair, I can't say I've noticed mistakes like that before.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200822-060621.png
    Screenshot_20200822-060621.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 184
Just looking at the craft beer & brewing subscription magazine, $24.99 for 12 months....
Anyone a subscriber?
Would anyone recommend it?
Is there any books for a newbie that isn't too gobbledygook?

Thanks in advance 🍻

Is it time for a beer yet 🤔
Its amazing, I have learned so much from that and the Podcast.
You can. usually get a month free.
The video courses are great too

Back