Crafty Maltsters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Including the malt they are very competitive. Agree that £11.50 is expensive for delivery but the overall price is good.
If they teamed up with DPD or some other delivery company I think they could do really well. That would bring the over total to around the 28 pound mark.

Pops pale ale is a great malt - well worth the shipping costs.
The single malt citra/mosaic IPA I made with it was one of the best beers I've made in ages.
I'll defo be buying more, and you won't regret buying a sack.
acheers.

It would look better if they charged 25 quid for the grain and normal postage that way people wouldn,t pick up on postage, and everyone is happy
I wouldn’t be happy. I collected mine in person so didn’t need to pay any postage.

I used to buy malt from Tuckers maltings in Newton Abbot. IT was a traditional floor maltings I would pick it up there but unfortunately it closed. Do Crafty have a weight limit for the £11.50?

Hope they do grow more historic varieties, I'd probably be more likely to try them
Looks like they use Laureate, which is a spring barley, mainly favoured by distillers, so it offers something different to the mainstream offerings which are often Planet or Propino. Thing is, Laureate is gaining popularity because if it's high yield (in terms of tons per acre), so I doubt they could offer historic varieties, with their lower yeilds, at the same price point.

Just to clarify a few points, most which were covered in the original thread. They use parcel force so £11.50 is the standard price for 25kg. Unless they are sending out a lot more parcels. Other places send it cheaper due to quantity and perhaps taking a small hit.
It's a standard price per sack, order more than one, pay double.

Through some conversations they managed to negotiate a cheaper date with another courier (I think dpd) but when they never turned up to collect my parcel so fair play to crafty they paid again via parcel force to deliver to me. So they have looked at cheaper alternatives but have been let down.

Looks like they use Laureate, which is a spring barley, mainly favoured by distillers, so it offers something different to the mainstream offerings which are often Planet or Propino. Thing is, Laureate is gaining popularity because if it's high yield (in terms of tons per acre), so I doubt they could offer historic varieties, with their lower yeilds, at the same price point.

I saw that too, Laureate accounts for something like 65% of the scottish malting barley yearly output, then concerto I think is the next most popular. They do give a marketing spiel about exploring historic varieties, so hopefully they do that.

I'm not fussed about paying an extra £10 or so for a sack if the product is good and interesting compared to other base malts, the way I see it , it is spread over 200 beers or so.

I think the likes of Crisp Chevalier and Weyermann Barke have been great additions to an otherwise fairly bland selection of base malts that we had before.

I used the Pops Pale again yesterday at 88% of the grain bill, with some flaked oats.
I've found I have to allow for a 5% increase in BH efficiency compared to other malts, as the extract rate is so good.
acheers.

I used the Pops Pale again yesterday at 88% of the grain bill, with some flaked oats.
I've found I have to allow for a 5% increase in BH efficiency compared to other malts, as the extract rate is so good.
acheers.

I and others found exactly the same, its good stuff
1596702495472.png

What are people using for their ingredient profile settings in Beersmith and Brewfather?

I have just reused an existing crisp pale ale one and renamed it to be honest!

What are people using for their ingredient profile settings in Beersmith and Brewfather?

I have just reused an existing crisp pale ale one and renamed it to be honest!
Ask CM for the data sheet but increase the extract figure. I can send you mine when I get on the computer if you wish

Thought you might be interested in this from their Facebook page;

"3 years in the making, from handfuls of seed to a golden field of barley. Today we started to cut our heritage collection, flavours we have patiently waited for. The next journey they will take will be metres away to the malting shed, this is the beauty of single origin farm malt. This is the magic of farmers who grow flavour. #everygraintellsastory #ourstory #heritagecollection"

Looks like exciting stuff!

Latest posts

Back