Crazy night brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazzer22

Reaction score
Had a crazy time last night brewing stout its the second time somethings bad has happened on my brewing days , my first time brewing my demijohn cracked with my wort in , now on my second time brewing the airlock bung fell in to my carboy, the wort and yeast was inside and there was know way i could get that sucker out , I had to think fast i didn't have any more airlocks and i am in quarantine for 10 days , i had to do something so i looked online and seen people fermenting with condoms ashock1, I did something different i put a condom over the top of the carboy, i cut a small hole at the tip of the condom and got a long tube and put it inside the small hole i had just made and in to the top of the carboy , it was tight around the tube but i stuck a zip tie round it then put the other end of the tube in water , i got up in the morning and it was bubbling away i don't know if this will work and i hate the thought of the airlock bung being inside but after all the hard work brewing i didn't want to tip it away .

Last edited:
From a gas point of view this sounds fine. I’ve never done this myself so can’t say if you might get any kind of off-flavours but bungs are most often made of rubber so you may be OK. If there is any kind of rubber flavour maybe next time try a fruit flavoured condom 😉

Latest posts

Back