Cream Ale Review thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick update from me for those of you who are waiting on reviews...

Been a pretty manic couple of weeks so I unfortunately haven't had an opportunity to sit down and give these beers the time they deserve. However, this weekend I will have more time so look forward to sampling them! :beer1:

A quick update from me for those of you who are waiting on reviews...

Been a pretty manic couple of weeks so I unfortunately haven't had an opportunity to sit down and give these beers the time they deserve. However, this weekend I will have more time so look forward to sampling them! :beer1:
Sounds like you've deserved it. You can contemplate your Saison recipe while you drink themwink...

20220318_202801.jpg

This evening I am drinking @Broken Toe's Cream Ale.

Looking at your recipe it seems we've approached this from a fairly similar angle so quite interesting to compare and contrast.

Pours a lovely clear, straw pale colour with a thin head but an overall decent level of carbonation but maybe slightly less than is recommended for the style.

It's a very crisp and refreshing beer, with a slight residual sweetness (from the Carahells?) and a hint of fruitiness. Overall, a very nice beer that I'm thoroughly enjoying.

20220319_192247.jpg

On the menu tonight is @RichardM's Cream Ale.

Visually a lot darker than my own attempt, suggesting it should be quite malty to taste. However, it is still refreshingly crisp with the malt flavours being mostly background notes. Getting a slight hint of fruitiness coming through as well. Carbonation is a little on the low side for style but it still works well.

Really interesting to try something that is clearly a different approach to the style. It's a very enjoyable beer, cheers! acheers.

Thx for your feedback. My last few beers struggle to maintain a head. Could be my water (not something I'm looking at currently), but I may think about adding some extra grain (toffified wheat/flaked maize...have to look into this) to try and address this. 🍻
You could try using dextrin malt for improving the head barely interferes with the colour and doesn't add any fermentable sugars.
While maize is low in nitrogen and improves the haze stability in beer, it is a two edged sword, maize is high in lipids and will reduce foam stability.
In saying that I will gladly put 20% flaked maize in my grain bill and counteract it with the dextrin malt.

20220320_170133.jpg

Finally onto @Nottsbeer's Cream Ale.

Looking at your recipe notes and the colour of the beer it appears as though this should fall half way between Broken Toe's and RichardM's beers.

Poured with a good head, but as other's have noted it sadly disappears quite quickly. Aroma is of biscuit and caramel, which does carry through to the taste. I felt it was lacking a bit of punch from either the yeast or the hops to back up the malt character though. However, it was still a nice, refreshing pint that went down a charm.

View attachment 65135

Looking at your recipe notes and the colour of the beer it appears as though this should fall half way between Broken Toe's and RichardM's beers.

Poured with a good head, but as other's have noted it sadly disappears quite quickly. Aroma is of biscuit and caramel, which does carry through to the taste. I felt it was lacking a bit of punch from either the yeast or the hops to back up the malt character though. However, it was still a nice, refreshing pint that went down a charm.
Glad you liked it. Yes, head retention is something I'm going to work on. 🍻

View attachment 65135

Can't help noticing you are using a dirty glass for your tastings, it has a big impact on head retention and lacing.

Back