cream stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cisk

Reaction score
Hi all i am going to start a cooper stout this week ,i would like to sweeten it a bit is it best to put lactose in at the start of the ferment or wait till the end just before bottling
Thanks for any help

Hi all just reading about Maltodextrin does any body on here uses Lactose or Maltodextrin to sweeten a stout ,if so can you please give some info on how much to uses in a 23 LT batch of stout and which is the best to uses . Thanks again

Hi all just reading about Maltodextrin does any body on here uses Lactose or Maltodextrin to sweeten a stout ,if so can you please give some info on how much to uses in a 23 LT batch of stout and which is the best to uses . Thanks again
300-500g lactose, never used maltodextrin myself. Personally I thing 500g lactose is a bit cloying but it depends on your taste.

Hi thanks for your replys so what do you think 250-300g of lactose to a 23 lts kit , i am after a sweet milk stout taste can you add both lactose and maltodextrin or is it one or the other ?

Hi thanks for your replys so what do you think 250-300g of lactose to a 23 lts kit , i am after a sweet milk stout taste can you add both lactose and maltodextrin or is it one or the other ?
I've never added both, but then I've never added maltodextrin at all. I brewed kits for a few months 5 years ago and moved on to grain pretty quickly so I never had any need to to. Lactose at the amounts already described should do you fine.

this is on my to do list.... would be very interested to see how it turns out please!
Will let you know. Me and some pals had some really good chocolate stouts from Brewdog so we thought we'd give it a go. It's going in an old King Keg and not one of my cornies so it can sit there for ages if it's heavy going. I tend to find the king kegs suit stouts better.

Yup, 500g Lactose was in my Chocolate cream stout last Christmas, like Clint says, get it boiled and in at the start....

250g is better. I used 500g in a 20 litre Imperial Stout and it was far too sweet. Easy to mix it in once the coopers is stirred in and it's still hot before topping up with cold water.

Back