Create a constant temp brewing bath

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodolpete

Regular.
Reaction score
Lidl have a thermostatic aquarium heater for £10 ATM. Fill a plastic box or bucket with water, put demijohn(s) / 25l FV in, adjust heater to temp you want,immerse in water and plug in, cover with old duvet, and you have a constant temp brewing box.

Thanks for the redirect to your really helpful thread, which I hadn’t seen before. The main reason I posted was that I bought from fish fanciers shops before, which costs a lot more, so I was surprised at the low cost.
Lidl’s one is 100W by the way.

I just got back from lidl and saw these heaters and was going to put a thread up about them but I'll ask here instead.

Any pros / cons using these instead of a heating pad / belt ?

Being 100 w does that mean it's quicker to reach temp but on less of the time ?

I'm thinking of submerging the heater directly in the brew, is it a good /bad idea ?

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
I just got back from lidl and saw these heaters and was going to put a thread up about them but I'll ask here instead.

Any pros / cons using these instead of a heating pad / belt ?

Being 100 w does that mean it's quicker to reach temp but on less of the time ?

I'm thinking of submerging the heater directly in the brew, is it a good /bad idea ?

Cheers,

Mark
I've used the water bath method a few times, I have a fermenting fridge now though.

When I used the water bath I used a lower wattage aquarium heater so I can't comment on 100w one. In terms of heater in brew, it seems like too big an infection risk to me personally... but I know other people have / do.

I got a 50W one from eBay a while ago (here, £6.99 free postage) - I used it submerged directly in the wort for a couple of brews and it seemed fine. I also tried it with a builders trug water bath, less fine 'cos something or other got into the water and SWMBO complained about it being smelly. I wonder if there was some seepage from the bottom tap on the FV (yes, I know. Shouldn't use a bottom tapped FV in a water bath).

But this latest brew the temp control seems to have gone wonky. I found the tmeperature had reached 28 when it was set for 20. I am now just keeping an eye on the temperature and turning it on for short periodds manually occasionally. .

you get what you pay for I suppose.

Latest posts

Back