Crossmyloof "Hell" Lager Yeast - opinions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben034

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone had a go with the relatively new Crossmyloof Hell lager yeast?

I need a new house lager strain after my WLP830 has been reused 7 times. I was considering just going for the same again or something like Wyeast Munich Lager 2308 but thought if the Hell is decent, cheap and with the convenience of dry, it maybe worth a shot?

I'm looking to make mainly very clean German Pils type lagers. Does the Hell yeast ferment clean? I read somewhere that it could be similar to Saflager S-23? The s-23 descriptors don't appeal for what I need really.

Thanks

I've not used this strain but I have used other lager strains. I used WLP830 as well for a smoked lager and I really liked it. Sadly I lost the yeast though. IF you've not used w-34/70 that's worth a go, really robust and works well. One sachet is for 10 litres or so. I tried Wy 2124 and it made great steam beers but when I made an actual cold fermented lager it wasn't the best beer ever; I made a Czech style beer and it had a very thin mouthfeel and the malt character seemed a bit muted. I quite like S-23, I've found it to be clean, never had any esters.

I'm currently fermenting a Czech pils with WLP802 Czech Budejovice but I have under fermented. There is a "wheat beer" taste to the beer, but it also tastes nice and crisp and quite dry, more like a Bavarian Helles than a Czech pils really. Granted it hasn't quite finished fermenting yet.

I have a couple of other lager style strains in my fridge ready to go. One of these days I'm gonna write a detailed guide to them and post it here.

I know this didn't answer your question directly but hope it was helpful nonetheless.

Search the forum Beercat bought some in August and had some fermenting at the time and said he would report back. If he did not try and PM him I am sure he will oblige

I've not used this strain but I have used other lager strains. I used WLP830 as well for a smoked lager and I really liked it. Sadly I lost the yeast though. IF you've not used w-34/70 that's worth a go, really robust and works well. One sachet is for 10 litres or so. I tried Wy 2124 and it made great steam beers but when I made an actual cold fermented lager it wasn't the best beer ever; I made a Czech style beer and it had a very thin mouthfeel and the malt character seemed a bit muted. I quite like S-23, I've found it to be clean, never had any esters.

I'm currently fermenting a Czech pils with WLP802 Czech Budejovice but I have under fermented. There is a "wheat beer" taste to the beer, but it also tastes nice and crisp and quite dry, more like a Bavarian Helles than a Czech pils really. Granted it hasn't quite finished fermenting yet.

I have a couple of other lager style strains in my fridge ready to go. One of these days I'm gonna write a detailed guide to them and post it here.

I know this didn't answer your question directly but hope it was helpful nonetheless.
Yeah good suggestion on the W34/70. This yeast would be ideal but when you compare price to liquid alternative it's hard to justify. If you had good experiences with S-23 then maybe the cheaper crossmyloof variety may be worth a shot.

Hope your Czech Pils comes good!

Yeah good suggestion on the W34/70. This yeast would be ideal but when you compare price to liquid alternative it's hard to justify. If you had good experiences with S-23 then maybe the cheaper crossmyloof variety may be worth a shot.

Thanks! I don't think it will be the best due to underpitching but should still be nice. I will attempt again with a much higher pitch rate.

I agree with your statement on W-34/70, especially as 2 sachets are needed. I remember reading it's the same as Wy2124, however I have actually had better results with W-34/70. S-23 is suitable for 20-30L per sachet. I know it's used in a couple of Mikkeller recipes.

Shop around. I just bought a pack of S-189 for $4.99 and I've seen it as high as $7.99 other places. The same for W34/70.

I've used it and really liked it. Fermented very clean. I used two packets to ensure it got going quickly at proper lager fermentation temps. Every bit as good at w34/70 in my opinion. Very very little sulphur.

It's one of the few CML yeasts I really rate.

Emailed CML at the same time as posting this and a rapid response saying if nothing by tomorrow they will send out another two packs
Class service but hopefully won’t need it

I used it for first time the weekend before last. I pitched two packs into a 23 litre brew on Saturday 3rd October. My plan was/is:

12 degrees 3 days
13 degrees 3 days
16 degrees 2 days
18 degrees 2 days.

I just put it up to 18 degrees today. To be honest, I’ve not seen any airlock activity but I don’t worry about that anymore. I refrain from opening the lid now too and this my first ever time using a lager yeast so I wouldn’t even know what I was looking for :confused.:

I pitched 1pk in18L on Saturday, took about 24hrs to get going at 14C and it's bubbling away happily now. I've used it about half a dozen times in the Spring and been pleased with the results though these were my first attempts at Lager.

I used it for first time the weekend before last. I pitched two packs into a 23 litre brew on Saturday 3rd October. My plan was/is:

12 degrees 3 days
13 degrees 3 days
16 degrees 2 days
18 degrees 2 days.

I just put it up to 18 degrees today. To be honest, I’ve not seen any airlock activity but I don’t worry about that anymore. I refrain from opening the lid now too and this my first ever time using a lager yeast so I wouldn’t even know what I was looking for :confused.:

I just grabbed a SG reading. After 9 days in the FV it’s gone from 1.044 to 1.020. Still a way to go but I have no experience with this yeast so no idea if that is good or bad!

I've used it twice on Vienna lager and Tokyo rice lager and both times it has started fermenting within 24 hours. The rice lager is still lagering but the Vienna was clean and clear. I fermented both at 16C, the attenuation was 83% and 80% respectively. Great product, I always used 34/70 but this is equal.

12 degrees 3 days
13 degrees 3 days
16 degrees 2 days
18 degrees 2 days.

I never bother either as a top fermenting yeast is easy to spot but it’s been 1050 for 48 hours

I’ll have to try this yeast again, first and only time I used it I pitched 2 packs in 23l. The beer wasn’t great and I got a lot of acetaldehyde, but I think this was my fault for pitching too hot.

Back