Crossmyloof "Hell" Lager Yeast - opinions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys, decision time, help please
Still nothing
Do I pitch Ale yeast? Or wait until tomorrow and order more today?
I have 2 packets of Pia and 1 West Coast ale yeast but wanted a bloody lager!
Is it advisable to re-stir now?
Cheers

You could use MJ M54 yeast. I’ve produced some very decent lagers using this at 18 degrees.
maybe still give it a bit more time though. Like I say, I’ve never used a lager yeast before now but have been worried in the past that my beer hasn‘t been fermenting only to find I actually has

Cammy and Steven from CML both got in touch via email (so quick) and suggested a couple of things and also said they will send another couple of packets out ASAP
I told them I would make my next order a bit larger and thanked them for first class service
Thanks

I've used it a few times for dunkels, festbiers and helles lagers. I've always pitched two packets and fermented at 12degC for a fortnight, then ramped up a degree per day until it's at 18degC, held for 3 days, then cold crashed until I could be arsed kegging it. The beers have always come out nice, I can't really fault it.

I've used it a few times for dunkels, festbiers and helles lagers. I've always pitched two packets and fermented at 12degC for a fortnight, then ramped up a degree per day until it's at 18degC, held for 3 days, then cold crashed until I could be arsed kegging it. The beers have always come out nice, I can't really fault it.
Ah, maybe I’ve been a bit too hasty in ramping up the temperature on mine then 😢

Not sure if this is infected with wild yeast? Smells and tastes ok but doesn’t look like a bottom fermenting yeast?
Anyone know?

Attachments

• B322A25C-5F10-4400-BCCD-BECFDF3C41CB.jpeg
    B322A25C-5F10-4400-BCCD-BECFDF3C41CB.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 565D010E-8AF0-4106-AB2B-21EC6EC476A5.jpeg
    565D010E-8AF0-4106-AB2B-21EC6EC476A5.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 106
Not sure if this is infected with wild yeast? Smells and tastes ok but doesn’t look like a bottom fermenting yeast?
Anyone know?
The lager yeasts that I've used have all krausened. This one included. Seems normal to me.

That looks normal as far as yeast goes, I'm pretty sure "bottom fermenting" is a misnomer (can't remember where I've read it discussed) and they're just not as crazy at making krausen as other yeasts. They would still make krausen as the CO2 generated rises and will create foam.

Struggling to avoid acetaldehyde with this despite temperature control below 14C. I'm on my 3rd brew with it (2 packs in each) and won't be using the yeast again if this next brew comes out the same.

I'm drinking a batch of lager (Pilsner Malt Saaz Smash) fermented with 2 packs at 13C, and I am not happy with the taste. It has a slight off flavour that I can't put my finger on. It is mellowing with age, but it's still there. I've done the same recipe but used MJ M54 as a sudo lager, and it was great. I won't use this CML yeast again.

I'm drinking a batch of lager (Pilsner Malt Saaz Smash) fermented with 2 packs at 13C, and I am not happy with the taste. It has a slight off flavour that I can't put my finger on. It is mellowing with age, but it's still there. I've done the same recipe but used MJ M54 as a sudo lager, and it was great. I won't use this CML yeast again.
Very similar experience with a Japanese Rice Lager. Brewed it before twice with W34/170 and it was great. Used Hell on the last brew and it has a phenolic taste.

Good results from my 3rd brew. After eliminating most of the variables I think the acetaldehyde came from priming with sugar in the bottle when that can't be temperature controlled.

The acetaldehyde in a black lager I bottled is slowly diminishing but I'm not sure it will ever disappear completely. The bottles were at 14-16C for a few weeks until I moved them into the garage.

My latest brew, a Munich Helles, I decided to keg and force-carb instead since it tasted good at the end of primary fermentation... no acetaldehyde and it's a good beer I'm very happy with.

Think I might try some other lager yeasts between now and next winter... CML Kentucky currently on the go and a MJ54 lined up as well to see how these do by comparison. I'm just too stingy to buy 34-70 although warm fermentation with 1 pack might just tempt me. Failing that its back to CML Hell and maybe some more experimentation with priming.

Good results from my 3rd brew. After eliminating most of the variables I think the acetaldehyde came from priming with sugar in the bottle when that can't be temperature controlled.

The acetaldehyde in a black lager I bottled is slowly diminishing but I'm not sure it will ever disappear completely. The bottles were at 14-16C for a few weeks until I moved them into the garage.

My latest brew, a Munich Helles, I decided to keg and force-carb instead since it tasted good at the end of primary fermentation... no acetaldehyde and it's a good beer I'm very happy with.

Think I might try some other lager yeasts between now and next winter... CML Kentucky currently on the go and a MJ54 lined up as well to see how these do by comparison. I'm just too stingy to buy 34-70 although warm fermentation with 1 pack might just tempt me. Failing that its back to CML Hell and maybe some more experimentation with priming.
This is interesting. I have recently noticed some off flavours in pilsners I have made recently. There are so many variables that it could be, but I'm starting to think it likely could be related to moving back to table sugar instead of corn sugar (brewing sugar). I know a lot not people will say you can't tell the difference, and in a bitter or IPA I would definitely agree, but with a lager I'm not so sure. This batch definitely tasted "good" before bottling and now has a very subtle off flavour that I can't describe, but is noticeable in this style.

That's funny, that would be one of the things I would try in future as well. I too had moved from dextrose to granulated and hadn't noticed any difference with ale yeasts.

I saw someone mention elsewhere that table sugar has a different structure to corn sugar that needs some extra work by the yeast. I didn't give it much serious thought at the time.

That's funny, that would be one of the things I would try in future as well. I too had moved from dextrose to granulated and hadn't noticed any difference with ale yeasts.

I saw someone mention elsewhere that table sugar has a different structure to corn sugar that needs some extra work by the yeast. I didn't give it much serious thought at the time.
Most people say you won't notice a difference, but I'm suspicious with a lager. Could be something else entirely of course, but I will change this for my next batch. Will lager for another month to see if it helps.

Back