Crossmyloof "Hell" Lager Yeast - opinions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people say you won't notice a difference, but I'm suspicious with a lager. Could be something else entirely of course, but I will change this for my next batch. Will lager for another month to see if it helps.

I find there is always a straw flavour from bottle conditioning. I think its oxidisation and not table sugar. I keg all mine now but occasionally do a test and its always there. You could try adding fresh yeast when you bottle. Use a pippet to dose each bottle.

I find there is always a straw flavour from bottle conditioning. I think its oxidisation and not table sugar. I keg all mine now but occasionally do a test and its always there. You could try adding fresh yeast when you bottle. Use a pippet to dose each bottle.
So your thinking is that, as opposed to an ale, the slower bottle conditioning time for a lager is leading to additional oxidisation, and hence the yeast? Interesting idea. Carbonation does certainly take longer for lagers in my experience. Would love to keg lagers, unfortunately just don't have the space currently.

So your thinking is that, as opposed to an ale, the slower bottle conditioning time for a lager is leading to additional oxidisation, and hence the yeast? Interesting idea. Carbonation does certainly take longer for lagers in my experience. Would love to keg lagers, unfortunately just don't have the space currently.
The idea is to add fresh is to avoid off flavours from secondary fermentation in the bottle. If you lager for a whilecthere may not be enough yeast left to carbonate as fast as normal. You can also carbonate lager at room temperature then put them in the fridge. Hope that makes sense. There is a technique called krausening you might want to look up.

I have a dopplebock with CML hells just bottled up a few days ago. So far so good. I put 1.65 g/l into it for good measure.

But at bottling I didn't perceive any off flavours from it. I went low on the temp 11°C and then ramped up to 18°C before crashing if that is of any help to anyone.

I used 2 packets as suggested in a Munich Helles and fermented initially at 12C. After 5 days I raised this to 15C. Today (after 9 days fermenting) I checked the FG and was amazed that it was 1005. As the OG was1049 the attenuation was a whopping 88%. I way overshot the target ABV and ended at 5.8% but I'll live with that. The floculation was poor but it's now in the 2FV cold ng for 7 days.

Hello all
I'm just about to brew a Helles and have both the Kentucky (1pkt) and Helles (2pkts).
I'm planning on getting to pitch temp using the brew fridge as the incoming water temp is too high.
Anyway..what will I do? Pitch the Kentucky at ale temps or the Helles at lager temps?
Do I need the 2pkts of Helles at 12c?
TIA!

I'm planning a Cali Common and had a look on Crossmyloof but couldn't find a specific CC yeast so opted for Kentucky.
Is this suitable, I see they include it in one of their all grain kits for a pseudo
lager ( another option I was thinking of brewing ).

I emailed Steven at CML who confirmed Kentucky is good for a California Common or Steam beer.
Apparently they can't get hold of the old
specific CC yeast at the moment.

Kentucky seems to have been their recommended/go to for this style for a while now. I made a Kolsch with it recently. It was pretty good.

Back