Crossmyloof Kolsch - fermenting time?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a Kolsch on with the CML yeast ~ 2 packs, fermenting at 12 degrees. Its fermenting away merrily. I want to raise the temperature for a diacetyl rest when its within a couple of points of FG. However, I have no idea when this will be and don't fancy taking readings when I don't need to as this just risks introducing infection. So, I am hoping someone can give me an idea of how long this yeast has taken so I can take an educated guess as to when I should start to take a gravity reading. What do people think?

I normally start of low and raise it to 20c about halfway through as I would for a Lager. Does not produce much diacetol as far as I can tell but it helps to clean up the yeast.
I generally do 2 weeks in the FV and then crash for a week. I don't really open mine until I add the finings after a few days of crashing.
How long did it take to start fermentation at that temp?

I pitched dry yeast on to the wort foam when the actual wort was at 18° and falling a couple of degrees an hour. It was at 12.5° about 6 hours later, and the yeast had rehydrated and covered the wort. Full on mental fermenting started a few hours later, and has now been bubbling away for 4 days. Taking on board your experience, I think I'll probably ramp it up slowly to 18° towards the end of the 2nd week.

Sounds good. I have heard that is how some people pitch lagers. I do mine the opposite way as i no chill and it can take a while at those temps. I am drinking a Rye beer now from the bible made with cml yeast and its absolutely delicious.

Latest posts

Back