Crossmyloof Real Ale Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They'll send you their price list by email if you ask too, you can then just order via email and it's a bit cheaper than ebay.

I've just had a mare with the real ale yeast. I accidentally plugged my heat belt into the cooling instead of the heating socket and my temperature shot up from 22 to 25.7 between pitching the yeast at 1:45 and getting home at 5:15. Hopefully I won't have done too much damage!

Put in an order for a mix five pack.just sent him a faceBook message with my needs with my email Addy and he sent back an invoice,simples....5 packets at less than a fiver delivered to the door, excellent service,highly recommended

Put in an order for a mix five pack.just sent him a faceBook message with my needs with my email Addy and he sent back an invoice,simples....5 packets at less than a fiver delivered to the door, excellent service,highly recommended

I'm not on farcebook or owt like so I get mine thru ebay. I know it's dearer but still incredibly cheap compared to the other, ahem, inferior yeasts out there so I'm not bothered. But just out of interest how much does ebay make per pack?

Boy, does this yeast ferment fast. I dry pitched this into a bitter (at about 22C) and I noticed it begin to kick off after about 20 mins :shock:

Myqul pitching the CML real ale yeast

f17vu49.gif

Hmmmmm. This yeast certainly does work fast, very fast, and I agree with comments about the malty flavour it brings. It really is not very flocculant though, and when I was bottling last night I noticed that even the slightest disturbance of the yeast cake resulted in a cloud of yeast deposit being kicked up :-(

Yeah I've found both the Cali Common and real ale yeasts to get to work very quick. The real ale yeast gave my beer a massive krausen this morning.

They also seem to generate a lot of their own heat. My set up allows me to heat a brew but not cool, and my inkbird showedmyhe CC yeast increase in temperature by a whole degree. The RA yeast was at 23.4C last night but is currently showing 24C. I've never noticed that with US05 or MJ yeasts.

I re hydrate all my dried yeasts now. Did an all Challenger brew yesterday,had half pack of US Pale in the fridge and it went away really quickly. Have found that with the CML yeast's that i have used and they also seem to chomp through quickly as well.

Tbh, even though it ferments fast, I think I've gone off the real ale yeast. It just doesnt do what I want it to, basically give me enough esters. Also, It's very malty but it gives too dry a finish because of the high attenuation (80%), which I find a bit unbalanced.
I have 5L stovetopper bitter in the FV at the mo. I did a gravity reading/taste last night and it had the above 'problems'. It's OK but not what I want my bitters to be like. In future I think I'll just nick yeast from bottle conditioned beers for bitters.

Back