Crossmyloof yeasts again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just a quickie for those in the know,what yeast strains are their us pale ale,their belgium ale yeast and their real ale yeast.reason I ask is I'm swapping out the kit yeast that came with my black rock riwaka pa,gonna go with the us pale ale yeast to see what difference it makes which has an 80/82% flocculation and 73/82 attenuation. Thanks

seeing as nobody took an interest in this thread I went back to steve on the crossmyloof facebook site and asked him to provide me with the strains of their yeasts and this is what he sent back to me.none of it makes sense as theres no wp and when you google them you get zilch back so the question is does these numbers corresponding to each yeast strain type mean anything to anyone on here?

crossmy loof[1].jpg

I don't want to sound like I'm being rude, and I appreciate you putting all of the yeast specs up for us, but have you actually taken screenshots by taking a photo of your screen?

If the real ale yeast is like Notty, that would explain @myqul not getting the esters he wanted in his bitter.

Thanks for posting! The only ones I haven't used are the saison and the kolsch. The wheat turned out fine and I've done around four brews with the American ale,I have a real ale on now. My beer seems to be working out fine with them as well as their hops..plus the price and service is unbeatable!

Thanks for posting! The only ones I haven't used are the saison and the kolsch. The wheat turned out fine and I've done around four brews with the American ale,I have a real ale on now. My beer seems to be working out fine with them as well as their hops..plus the price and service is unbeatable!

I've only used the Cali Common (I have one fermenting with the real ale at the moment too), but what a quick turnaround yeast! Carbed and clear in a week!

pdf shots for your perusal:thumb:
now I do get it a bit more as its only just now I have d/l the pdf and posted the shots from it as I couldn't on my smarty that I first viewed the reply on:doh:

thanks for that useful info as I use the CML yeasts

I don't want to sound like I'm being rude, and I appreciate you putting all of the yeast specs up for us, but have you actually taken screenshots by taking a photo of your screen?

If the real ale yeast is like Notty, that would explain @myqul not getting the esters he wanted in his bitter.

Off topic, but, as an IT Manager I see all sorts of fails like this on a regular basis.

We have a guy who genuinly took a photo of his screen, emailed it to himself, printed it off and then SCANNED IT back in to email it! I **** you not.

Couldn't figure out how to attach to an email or something .... :doh:

Off topic, but, as an IT Manager I see all sorts of fails like this on a regular basis.

We have a guy who genuinly took a photo of his screen, emailed it to himself, printed it off and then SCANNED IT back in to email it! I **** you not.

We all have our personal skills shortages in our lives. We can't be good at everything.
I am reasonably IT literate, can spell lager properly (that's the drink), and can add up a column of figures without a calculator, but then I can't lay bricks, and could never understand electrical engineering properly even though I was a chartered engineer in another subject.

Late at night and for ease and quickness with a few bevvys inside me,they are easily readable anyway so what's the problem?

Wtf is it a fail? This is a homebrew forum designed to help folk not an IT site or place of work,and yep I'm a prickly old bugga sometimes and do wonder what's the point in bovvering at times

I've changed my mind about the Real Ale yeast. Although it does need to be fermented near the top end of it's temp range. I recently made a bitter with it fermented at 23C-25C and it was much closer to what I was after, compared to when I brewed a mild with is at about 18C

I've changed my mind about the Real Ale yeast. Although it does need to be fermented near the top end of it's temp range. I recently made a bitter with it fermented at 23C-25C and it was much closer to what I was after, compared to when I brewed a mild with is at about 18C

I'm new to controlling ferm temps with fridge and inkbird. When you say fermented at 23-25C, how long is that for? I like to give my beer 2-3 weeks in the FV but that would seem to me to be an awful long time at 25C. So do you lower the temp after all the action has died down? I've fermented everything at 19C ( with great results )since getting the fridge but think I'll experiment now. My last brew which is now suppable is a mild of only 3.2%, made with Real Ale yeast and it's pretty good. You know what's coming don't you.... ample body in there thanks to my beloved flaked barley!

I'm new to controlling ferm temps with fridge and inkbird. When you say fermented at 23-25C, how long is that for? I like to give my beer 2-3 weeks in the FV but that would seem to me to be an awful long time at 25C. So do you lower the temp after all the action has died down? I've fermented everything at 19C ( with great results )since getting the fridge but think I'll experiment now. My last brew which is now suppable is a mild of only 3.2%, made with Real Ale yeast and it's pretty good. You know what's coming don't you.... ample body in there thanks to my beloved flaked barley!

You and your flaked baley :lol:

When I say 23C-25C, the ambient temp in my kitchen was 23C but this yeast is an absolute animal so I accounted for 1C-2C of extra heat from fermentation.

After about 4 days all the ester production (and production of other compounds) is finished so you can leave it at 25C if you want. Whenever I control a fermentation using my brew bag I usually control it for 1 week then take the ice bottles out and let it free rise to ambient temp for a second week to clean up.
For this batch of bitter though , as I mentioned, real ale yeast is a beast and had easily finished chomping it's way though the wort after 4 days so I packaged it then. I then started to tuck in after 2 days conditioning. It had carb up by then because the real ale yeast had easily made it's way through the priming sugar. Its also really flucculant so had dropped out too, to leave the beer clear.

The real ale yeast is also very malty so that may or may not have given your mild the body it has (it's certainly given my Ordinary Bitter body). Or it could be a combination of the FB and RA yeast

I'll tell you what else I've noticed about the RA yeast.... doesn't matter how long it spends in the FV, cold-crashing etc, it goes into the bottles very murky and with nuthin' like the clarity you'd get with say, Notty after the same treatment. After 2 or 3 days in the bottle it seems to clear to starbright overnight. Amazing! Is it just me? And ye, I do find it verrry malty too.

I'll tell you what else I've noticed about the RA yeast.... doesn't matter how long it spends in the FV, cold-crashing etc, it goes into the bottles very murky and with nuthin' like the clarity you'd get with say, Notty after the same treatment. After 2 or 3 days in the bottle it seems to clear to starbright overnight. Amazing! Is it just me? And ye, I do find it verrry malty too.

Because of the way I batch prime (chuck the sugar solution in the primary, stir, wait 30 mins for any large chunks to drop out of suspension then package) My beer usually goes into the packaging fairly murky anyway, so I've never really noticed, other than it does clear very quickly

I note the us pale and cali yeast both say similar to US05. Only used the cali once so i cant really say but there was a definite taste to the beer i have noticed in some Polish lagers. Perhaps that was from the hops though as it says it ferments clean. Anyway it went down well with everyone. Just pitched the real ale onto a 1064 stout and its going within 30 minutes. Have you got a favourite yeast yet GD?

I note the us pale and cali yeast both say similar to US05. Only used the cali once so i cant really say but there was a definite taste to the beer i have noticed in some Polish lagers. Perhaps that was from the hops though as it says it ferments clean. Anyway it went down well with everyone. Just pitched the real ale onto a 1064 stout and its going within 30 minutes. Have you got a favourite yeast yet GD?
nope as its the first time ive purchased crossmyloof yeasts,got a riwaka pa on the go atm I did with their us pale ale yeast,it was super active with a robust krausen and as I said in an earlier post I ferment in a fast fermenter and rarely can I get the airlock to bubble but this sent it mad for 3 days and its now not doing anything so I suspect its fermented and it was a 1060,OG beer so im gonna leave it to clean up for another week yet:thumb:

That cml us pale ale yeast is making me feel queezy with the stink coming off it,no krausen this time but can't stand to be in the same room as the FV,must be a good un
trouble is the bar/brewery is in the dining room so its not nice at meal times and its only been going just over 24 hours:oops: so itll be at least another 2/3 days before it subsides if the first one is anything to go by:thumb:

Back