Crossmyloof Yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I regularly use Nottingham and US05 dry yeasts, will i get near identical results replacing them with Crossmyloof Midland and Five?
I’m not sure anyone can answer that question unless they’ve done comparison brews. Why not buy one of each and try them.

Five is a decent neutral yeast I would recommend. I haven't found others great (hell / real ale). Perhaps Midlands is worth a try. I've enjoyed using mangrove jack's liberty bell for a cheap dry yeast with good ester character.

Also, ask the lads at CML. I have contacted them a few times and found them to be extremely helpful. They will answer your questions, and if they cant, they will try to point you to someone who can. I am using them more and more because of their excellent personal service.

I'm a few days into my first go with the Five and so far so good, at less then £2 a pack posted I figure they are all worth trying out

I'm a few days into my first go with the Five and so far so good, at less then £2 a pack posted I figure they are all worth trying out
Thanks, I take it you're talking about 'so far, so good' in terms of fermentation. Ideally what I'm looking for is taste feedback from someone that usually uses Nottingham or US05 that says they have tried the Crossmyloof equivalent and noticed no difference in taste.

I am going to also stick my oar in here and say do not be tempted by teh US ale, it is in my opinion a much poorer comparison to US05. I have tried a handful of CML yeasts and find flavour cleaniness something they are not so good at.

I've never tried US ale or Real Ale but their Beirm yeasts are very good especially Beoir, Hog Norsk and Kveik. I've bought Five, Hell and Midland but haven't used them yet.

I’ve used their real ale before and didn’t enjoy the flavour profile, not my cup of tea

Thanks, I take it you're talking about 'so far, so good' in terms of fermentation. Ideally what I'm looking for is taste feedback from someone that usually uses Nottingham or US05 that says they have tried the Crossmyloof equivalent and noticed no difference in taste.
I will let you know in a month when I'm drinking it (if I remember) but I've used US-05 and S-04 up until now so will have a comparison for you.

Back