crossover between brewing and fishkeeping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig_teesside

Reaction score
As a fishkeeping I've noticed a lot of issues and similarities in both hobbies, water quality, chloramine, chlorine, tds,alkalinity, hardness and temperature etc. Just about to start second brew and I'm contemplating using aquarium thermo-heater but also considering using a small submersible pump at the bottom of the brew to keep everything dead and alive in suspension in the water column. I'm going to use it for aeration. It that a bad idea?. Is there a thread where these crossovers have been discussed before?

I done years of tropical fish....nowt special but I kept a good tank ...water testing ,live planted etc. Until a major kill when I was away away on holiday and had unneeded interference.
I packed it in then...
As for adding a pump for the fermentation...don't bother it will move itself.

Funnily enough my partner is in the process of setting up a small aquarium and I have been noticing some of the crossovers in the practices and the equipment. I've done a lot of siphoning so far!

You find even more in common if you keep marine fish tank. Water chemistry comes so much in play and you can use same kits to measure alkalinity, calcium etc in your waters and in marine you need RO water - and you can use RO to create your brewing water :)

As a fishkeeping I've noticed a lot of issues and similarities in both hobbies, water quality, chloramine, chlorine, tds,alkalinity, hardness and temperature etc. Just about to start second brew and I'm contemplating using aquarium thermo-heater but also considering using a small submersible pump at the bottom of the brew to keep everything dead and alive in suspension in the water column. I'm going to use it for aeration. It that a bad idea?. Is there a thread where these crossovers have been discussed before?
I have a large hydroponic set up, I have 13 rainwater tanks on my property, the nutrients work better with a higher pH, trip before last to the hydroponic store I must have had beer on my mind, I bought a bottle of pH Down instead of pH Up.
What Clint said, there are exothermal currents happening during fermentation so no need to agitate on a home brew scale. And it is a bad idea to aerate the wort (I believe 24 hours) after pitching the yeast.
If you are using dry yeast it is often not a good idea to aerate or oxygenate the wort at all, yeast type dependent.

Latest posts

Back