Crown caps, cappers and bottles..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my "useful tips for other newbies" post no.1 (Old Timers already know what I'm still finding out).
Before starting my first brew I put in at least the equivalent of a 40 hr week doing my research with books, blogs and old forum threads.
And it's surprising just how much I still didn't know. I've just bottled my first brew (hooray!), a Coopers Stout. I have this crown capper:
http://www.tesco.com/direct/youngs-beer-bottle-capper-boxed/213-5232.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=213-5232
And a pack of Youngs crown caps. I also had a fistful of different caps, make unknown, that were given to me by an ebay seller when I bought his used fvs. Apart from colour there was no visible dfference from the Young's caps.
The bottles were all Shepherd Neame Double Stout (delicious) which saved me the mind-numbing chore of de-labelling (because I was botttling a stout). Yes, lazy old sod.
Here's what I found:
1) The Young's caps all fitted theShepherdNeame bottles, albeit not always readily. Some went on much easier than others and I often had to try two or three times. And a couple of attempts had to be finished off with a 'hammer' capper, like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/crown-bottle-capper-/121495239038?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item1c49ae397e
As low tech as you could get and you sure wouldn't want to cap 40 bottles with it, but invaluable on this occasion. If you can get one cheap enough it's a useful back-up. Unless you fork out for a bench capper. They, apparently, are the best and work with all bottles and caps (allegedly) but expensive at £30 ish http://www.colchesterhomebrew.co.uk...od_1814636-Colt-Counter-Top-Capper-Black.html
The donated caps could not be fitted AT ALL with my Young's capper and the Neame bottles. Tried many times, no dice, Gave up.

2) The Young's capper worked MUCH better with other bottles. Marston, Theakston, Batemans and McEwans all readily accepted both the Young's caps and the unknown ones when fitted with the Young's capper/.
I've no way of knowing if a different capper would have fared better with the Shepherd Neame bottles (and the unknown caps) but if you're just starting out and getting your equipment together, I strongly recommend that you test your capper and caps with your saved 'empties'. If they don't work together you'll need to change at least one of them. Don't wait till bottling day to find out like I did.
And if you DO do what I did, have some empty Tesco or Asda 2l plastic No Frills water bottle standing by.
Good luck.

I think if you're going to routinely bottle your brews a stand capper is a must. It's quicker, reliable everytime and can handle bottles that are thought trickier with handheld cappers. They are around for less than £30 if you buy with other things from the online shops. I wouldn't want my hard work (and money) to go to waste on even a single bottle and if £30 on stand capper ensures that I think it's money well spent.

I would take them up on that one.
Bottling is much easier with a bench capper. As you have found out the hand held ones do not work with some bottles. As just said, money well spent.

It is tempting. I need to get another order in somewhere before Christmas and I may as well get what I need from this place and add the capper to it.
But I'd be happier if we could see the make, or read a review or two.
It's tempting to think that because this is a serious tool no one would make a bad one but you never know..

I've had no issues with Shepherd Neame bottles with the metal twin lever capper, though I did notice the Young's capper being a little bit more fiddly and picky. I always have plenty of plastic 500ml bottles, both crown and screw cap, ready in case there are issues with the style of the glass bottles. So far it's only been the Wychwood bottles that have been a problem.

As an aside I just tried the Shepherd Neame Double Stout for the first time tonight, given to me by my neighbour, along with a half dozen empties! I had tried their IPA earlier in the week and wasn't impressed, but the stout is very good.

As an aside I just tried the Shepherd Neame Double Stout for the first time tonight, given to me by my neighbour, along with a half dozen empties! I had tried their IPA earlier in the week and wasn't impressed, but the stout is very good.

The Stout is lovely but I reckon it's more of a oatmeal stout looking at the ingredients and ABV%. It's inspired me to have a go at making something similar - even though I know what the ingedients are I dont know the percentages so will have to make it up

"..I had tried their IPA earlier in the week and wasn't impressed,.."

I agree. I find it slightly 'sour' tasting as opposed to the (very) dark chocolatey bitterness of the double stout (why double??)
A very close second choice Shepherd Neame for me would be their 1698 ale. Drank 10 botttles of it one night. Woke up on the couch fully dressed... : /

"I've had no issues with Shepherd Neame bottles with the metal twin lever capper"
Which capper is rhis dbg? Do you have a link?

EDIT:
Hmm.. As I type I'm drinking a bottle of the Shepherd Neame "1698" that I recommended. On this occasion it's following a Marston's Strong Pale Ale and, to my surprise, the 1698 is suffering markedly in comparison. No idea if it's the recipe that's changed or my taste, but I shan't be buying this one again, not if I can get Marston's Strong Pale, Theakston's Old Peculier, Hobgoblin or McEwan's Champion..

MyQul, I'd kill :twisted: for a Shepherd Neame double stout clone recipe. Please keep us posted...

Latest posts

Back