CRS instead of lactic acid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dellboy78lfc

Reaction score
Using Brewfather for my next brew, it is saying to put 0.12ml of lactic acid in my sparge water. I have some CRS that I was hoping to use instead but I don’t know if I need to alter the amount I need to use?

I think the paid version of Bru n Water lets you use CRS. The free version lets you choose hydrochloric and sulphuric so maybe if you had the composition you could wing it.

Brew n water is a great spreadsheet. You can donate however much you want to Martin the guy who created it and download it. I wouldn’t be without it acheers.

Using Brewfather for my next brew, it is saying to put 0.12ml of lactic acid in my sparge water. I have some CRS that I was hoping to use instead but I don’t know if I need to alter the amount I need to use?
Time for a "reality check" methinks. It seems you already have a water addition calculator like Bru'n Water to come up with a figure like 0.12ml. In how much? 10L or is that 0.12ml per litre? I guess the acid addition is a precautionary measure to keep the sparge water pH below 6, and you are probably using water with b-all in it anyway. I think the buffering power of the mash will more than handle any tendency for the sparge water to raise the mash runoff pH.

Use the same amount of CRS, or perhaps don't bother with any acid addition.

I also use Bru'n Water. I also have soft water. I get instructed to add 0.6ml (of phosphoric acid) to 60L. Sometimes I follow the instructions diligently (if I can find the tiddly 1ml syringe), sometimes (if I can bring myself to do it) I just skip the step. Do I notice? Do I heck!

Time for a "reality check" methinks. It seems you already have a water addition calculator like Bru'n Water to come up with a figure like 0.12ml. In how much? 10L or is that 0.12ml per litre? I guess the acid addition is a precautionary measure to keep the sparge water pH below 6, and you are probably using water with b-all in it anyway. I think the buffering power of the mash will more than handle any tendency for the sparge water to raise the mash runoff pH.

Use the same amount of CRS, or perhaps don't bother with any acid addition.

I also use Bru'n Water. I also have soft water. I get instructed to add 0.6ml (of phosphoric acid) to 60L. Sometimes I follow the instructions diligently (if I can find the tiddly 1ml syringe), sometimes (if I can bring myself to do it) I just skip the step. Do I notice? Do I heck!
I’m just using the water calculations in Brewfather. Never used it before! Batch size is 20L so I get what you’re saying about the addition being negligible. Maybe I’ll miss it out then. It was only because I already have some CRS that I thought I’d use it.

Back