crushed grain lifespan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shug

Reaction score
I've been thinkin on getting a 25kg bag of Maris otter, but having no mill, I'd need it crushed. How long would it last for? It'd be kept in a tightly lidded tub indoors so warm and dry. At about 4kg per brew, that's 6 batches and I don't brew every weekend, so possibly 3 months. Would it be ok to use after that long?

I keep mine in a dark cool place, rather than warm, I imagine a warm environment could encourage nastys to grow, but not sure.

People on here have kept crushed grain for two years without issue.

When I say warm, I mean bottom of my wardrobe. Not much storage space in my flat.

I would say it will be fine. :thumb: I use a bag in about 6 months, sometimes longer never had a problem. :thumb:

Scott said:
People on here have kept crushed grain for two years without issue.
If it's stored where dampness or rodents can't get at it, then it should keep for quite some time. I bought a sack late in 2011, did one brew and then somehow took 14 months before my next. It was triple bagged and stored (as Scott said) cool and dark, and is still perfectly acceptable.

I used 5kg for a brew in January and 7.5kg last weekend. The remainder is now in a lidded FV inside a black sack and I'm planning another brew as soon as my buckets are empty again.

its at its best freshly crushed - 2 weeks post crush but will certainly still be good for 3months if dry, wouldnt fancy it past 2 years though, even in best conditions

Muntons give their crushed grain a 12 month lifespan, and I have used grain after that date, about he only thing I've noticed is perhaps a slight reduction in yield.

I have noticed that crushed grain slightly looses some of its flavour and other 'freshly crushed' qualities after 6mths or so...

I have also noticed that wheat Flour used in home baking looses its freshness after about 6-12mths too...yes its still usable and wont effect the home baking that much...but the fact remains..the staleness does creep in and the eventual taste/quality will eventually suffer!

I personally would say 6-12mths is the prob the limit before staleness and other undesirable qualities start to creep into the equation..its hard to say for sure, some say less than a few weeks...other say well over a year no problem...a lot depends on storage conditions, temps etc....

Its hard to describe but i find some crushed barley will eventually loose some of its overall quality and freshness...i feel the staleness is like a very faint cardboard-type after taste in the brewed beer, though most brewers may not notice it if they mix lots of other grains into the recipe!...but 3mths you should be fine...

Latest posts

Back