Crushed malt 25kg £20 ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I phoned a local malt supplier (massive factory) and the guy answering the phone says he has a few spare bags of Ale malt for £20 each, not much more detail than that.
Central Scotland if anyone wants any details just contact me but the way he was talking it’s only 3 or 4 (I’m taking 1)

True but even at that they add vat and a £5 handling charge
Crisp Maltings are about to open a new production line in Alloa with all kinds of crushed malt, handy for anyone in Central 7EA11354-3B7D-4E64-A61C-5F3E50087D49.jpeg

But that's just the retail effect of small quantities, the rest of the industry works on 25kg sacks (or bigger). And Brewstore's flat pricing means they are kinda expensive on small quantities of base malts but relatively cheap for the specialities. Most online places will sell you base malt for £25/sack plus p&p (with an option to qualify for free p&p).

I see Staffs have now moved their page to https://www.staffordshirebrewery.co.uk/malt-5/

I was just citing them as an example because they're organised enough to sell ingredients "officially" and have prices on a website, they're as much wholesaler as brewery. But let's just say that I've had conversations with local breweries that have been £20/sack or less if I pick it up from them directly.

I've contacted 3 local breweries asking if they sell to the public. I live in Warrington so any do I'll post them here.

The guy that sells the Grain at Crisp Maltings used to be a brewer and I picked his brains for ages, I’m glad I moved House now as it’s only 5 minutes from me

Last edited:
Back