Crushing Grain Without a Mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

BottlesCansCraft

Reaction score
Hi All,

A recent order with maltmiller for fine crushed maris otter resulted in a delivery of uncrushed maris otter. I don't have a mill, or know anyone that does, and checked with my local brewshop and they don't either (found it strange they bought it in crushed, but hey).

Any suggestions on what I could do with it to get it mashable? would a food processor sufficiently break it up or just completely destroy it?

Any help would be awesome, thanks

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi All,

A recent order with maltmiller for fine crushed maris otter resulted in a delivery of uncrushed maris otter. I don't have a mill, or know anyone that does, and checked with my local brewshop and they don't either (found it strange they bought it in crushed, but hey).

Any suggestions on what I could do with it to get it mashable? would a food processor sufficiently break it up or just completely destroy it?

Any help would be awesome, thanks
When I was in this situation I asked on a Facebook brewing group and amazingly someone about 5 miles from my house said I could use his.

You could also ask your local microbrewery if they are still operating but a lot will just buy their grain already crushed.

I think the general consensus at the time was that only a grain mill would do.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Unless you can find someone near to mill it for you it's extremely hard ( almost impossible) to crush without some sort of mill.

It's worth buying one of these cheapo mills

Once you have it you can buy your base malt crushed but have large stocks/variety of specialty malts whole which will keep for months and years until you need it. This is what I do

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
In fairness they are pretty crap and it takes ages to crush 5Kg of malt, but they do work. If you think it's worth paying £14-20 for a one-off then do it. I also had a 25Kg sack of malt from Brouwland, who don't supply crushed. I quickly found out it's more convenient and cheaper to order malt from the UK even with carriage factored in.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score

Tbh, they're a bit hit and miss. I have one. Periodically the forum will find a product and several forumites will all buy it and compare. This happened with these mills a few years ago (which is when I bought mine). Some people binned there's almost immediately or others (like Dutto) modified them to attach a drill and 'grain catching' bucket.

I've never had a problem with mine. It mills grain. Which is what you want it to do. However trying to mill several kilos is a nightmare, unless you do it in batches over a few days, because it takes so long. However for several hundred grammes for specialty malt it's great

Reaction score
I've used my blender before, which made a very fine grind. I wouldn't recommend it, but it made beer.

If you do use something like that, use a BIAB bag if you have one else you'll end up with a very cloudy wort because of the flour produced.

Reaction score
Back in Feb I bought one of those Corona knock-off mills from the bay for a little over £11 including postage. With a little tinkering it has been well worth the money and time.

Previously my BH efficiency was all over the place with pre-crushed grain, anywhere from 63-74%. I now run all of my grain through the mill including any pre-crushed I still have left. I'm now reliably getting 76% ± 2% and it takes a matter of minutes to crush if you drive it with a drill. Without the drill it took about 20 mins for 5kg of grain.

So much more predictable than pre-crushed.