Crusty deposits in my SS conical FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a stainless steel fermenter - an SS Brew Bucket - and I've used it a lot over the past year. The past few brews I've noticed white powder after cleaning and white crusts forming too, the latter takes an awful lot of scrubbing to remove. These areas are harbouring bad yeasts/bacteria and have ruined a brew.

I live in a hardwater area so I think it might be limescale. Would boiling water + citric acid fix this or is there something else I'm missing?

I've also noticed the FV inside is generally discolouring and I think is building up beer stone. Is there a good cleaner for this?

1597914243019.png

I tend to clean with water and soap after every brew but this perhaps isn't the best long term solution. Are there recommendations on how to clean stainless steel?

TIA!

Barkeepers friend is great for cleaning SS and it’s relatively cheap too. I use the spray version on my SS fermenters prior to giving them a thorough cleaning and it gets rid of almost anything

An alkaline wash will remove it, 45% sodium percarbonate, 45% sodium metasilicate, 10% Bi Carb brings it back like new. What soap have you been using on it?

Barkeepers friend is great for cleaning SS and it’s relatively cheap too. I use the spray version on my SS fermenters prior to giving them a thorough cleaning and it gets rid of almost anything
I've read about using BKF and that it still requires a fair amount of elbow grease to remove the stains. It also should be kept clear of the measurement etchings on the SS Brewbucket as it will take them right off. I'm thinking of getting some because my brew kettle is stained brown and it would be good to give it a thorough clean.
An alkaline wash will remove it, 45% sodium percarbonate, 45% sodium metasilicate, 10% Bi Carb brings it back like new. What soap have you been using on it?
I've been using fairy liquid. I've read an alkaline wash is a good idea, but need to do an acid wash to pacify the ss afterwards which I can do with some strong Starsan solution. Is sodium percarbonate the active ingredient in Oxy powder? I need to get a large tub of this for cleaning anyway.

I've read about using BKF and that it still requires a fair amount of elbow grease to remove the stains. It also should be kept clear of the measurement etchings on the SS Brewbucket as it will take them right off. I'm thinking of getting some because my brew kettle is stained brown and it would be good to give it a thorough clean.

I've been using fairy liquid. I've read an alkaline wash is a good idea, but need to do an acid wash to pacify the ss afterwards which I can do with some strong Starsan solution. Is sodium percarbonate the active ingredient in Oxy powder? I need to get a large tub of this for cleaning anyway.
Sorry I didn’t even think about the etchings in the fermenter. My grasinfather was quite stained, even after using the correct cleaning solution? So i give it a spay of BKF and let it do its ‘thing’ for a few minutes, a gentle wipe and a rinse and viola, it come up like new again and it got rid of the limescale build up. So now i use it every time before cleaning

Sorry I didn’t even think about the etchings in the fermenter. My grasinfather was quite stained, even after using the correct cleaning solution? So i give it a spay of BKF and let it do its ‘thing’ for a few minutes, a gentle wipe and a rinse and viola, it come up like new again and it got rid of the limescale build up. So now i use it every time before cleaning
Sounds quite effortless, I might try it. I was thinking of sticking masking tape over the etchings to protect them from any spray which might get on them.

I used BKF today on my fermenter. I got the 3 pack consisting of powder for a paste, spray bottle and pre made paste. The powder which I made into a paste worked really well and the FV is looking like new! I'm now using it on my brew kettle which has been stained for a very long time.

Before I use the FV again I'll passivate it.

I had similar thing on my chronical, and a good scrub with BKF and elbow grease did the trick. While I didn’t find it affected the taste of my brews I’m sure I was getting ‘dandruff’ deposits in my beer.

I used BKF today on my fermenter. I got the 3 pack consisting of powder for a paste, spray bottle and pre made paste. The powder which I made into a paste worked really well and the FV is looking like new! I'm now using it on my brew kettle which has been stained for a very long time.

Before I use the FV again I'll passivate it.
Good to hear. I have a good stash of this at home, Malt Miller had a sale on this stuff so I added a whole load to my order.

Latest posts

Back