Cucumber wine recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbyyccc

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for cucumber wine, we have an endless supply this year and I can’t face another cucumber butty! The only recipe I can find is the 2lb cucumbers, 2 oranges and lemons etc. I thought this was the place to come for enlightenment.

I couldn’t face one but watching thread with interest….. maybe try posting on an American brewing site they use all-sorts of &%#@ :-}

Cucumber wine recipe
Ingredients:

• cucumbers - 2 kg;
  • water - 4 l;
  • sugar - 1.5 kg;
  • citric acid - 60 g;
  • sourdough or wine yeast - for 7 liters of wort.
Citric acid is needed to stabilize acidity, without it the wort will not ferment normally and can turn sour or become infected with mold. If possible, better take-store wine yeast, if they do not, a few days to work with the raw material should be prepared Wynne th leaven of raisins or fresh berries.

Cooking technology
1. Wash cucumbers, cut off the stalks and opposite ends (give bitterness).

2. Cut the fruits together with the peel into thin slices, then chop in a blender or meat grinder.

3. Fold the resulting cucumber pulp into a container with a wide neck. Add citric acid, water and the first portion of sugar - 1 kg. Stir until sugar dissolves.

4. Add yeast or sourdough. Cover with gauze to repel insects. Transfer to a dark place with a temperature of + 18-25 ° C. Leave for 3 days, stir every 8-12 hours so that there is no souring. On the first day, signs of fermentation should appear: foam, hissing and a slight sour smell, which means that the process is going well.

5. Strain the wort through several layers of gauze, squeeze the pulp dry (no longer needed).

6. Pour the liquid part into the fermentation tank. Fill to a maximum of 75% of the volume so that there is room for foam and carbon dioxide. Add the second portion of sugar - 500 g. Stir until completely dissolved.

7. Install a water seal of any design on the neck of the fermentation tank (you can use a medical glove with a hole in one of your fingers). Transfer the container to a dark room with a stable temperature of + 18-25 ° C. Leave until the end of fermentation.

Homemade cucumber wine ferments for 45-60 days. Then the gas from the water seal stops escaping (the glove is deflated), the wine becomes lighter, and a layer of loose sediment appears at the bottom.

8. Taste the young cucumber wine, sweeten it with sugar if desired. Pour into a holding container without sediment at the bottom. It is advisable to fill up to the very neck so that there is no contact with oxygen. Close hermetically, keep for at least 3-4 months in a refrigerator or basement at a temperature of + 2-16 ° C.

If sugar was added at the previous stage, it is better to keep the drink under a water seal for the first 7-10 days of aging in case of re-fermentation.

9. If a sediment appears with a layer above 1 cm, filter the wine by pouring it through a tube into another container (without touching the sediment). Several filters may be needed.

10. The drink is ready when no sediment appears for a couple of weeks. Then the wine can be bottled for storage and tightly closed.

When stored in a refrigerator or cellar, cucumber wine has a shelf life of up to 2 years. Fortress - 10-13% vol.

Started a batch last week and have just decanted into a couple of DJ's. Exceedingly lively and cloudy, will post photos and progress in due course.

Cucumber and mint sounds interesting. I grew cucumbers in a tub this year and had more than I knew what to do with! There is also a mint bush attempting to expand beyond the border so using a load would help turn the tide of the Battle of the Veg Plot.

I started my first batch about 5 weeks ago and it’s clearing nicely. Started my second batch yesterday. A huge plus from making this wine is the fragrance produced from the cucumbers and citrus combo. Aaaaaaahhhh…

Back