Cummings and Goings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Reaction score
The BBC are reporting the our Dom will be resigning his post

Boris Johnson's senior adviser Dominic Cummings is expected to leave his position by the end of the year.

I think it was always the plan that he would depart at the end of the year.

What really makes me laugh is the way it brings all of the remainers out on social media suggesting that they might now (for the 300th time) be able to derail Brexit. They constantly seem to forget that we've already left.

I don't think Cummings has much to do with the Brexit talks anyway - he moved on to other things once we left. Frost is actually far more imporatnt now - and there are suggestions that he might go once the talks are completed. Probably a good thing - this Government desperately needs fresh faces and a new direction.

What really makes me laugh is the way it brings all of the remainers out on social media suggesting that they might now (for the 300th time) be able to derail Brexit. They constantly seem to forget that we've already left.

Yes it's utterly devastating. Can't imagine what people were thinking.

Non story he probably engineered as a way of giving Boris a final positive news story.

Non story he probably engineered as a way of giving Boris a final positive news story.
The going out the front door with a cardboard box looked stage managed to me.

Last edited:
I wrote to Brewdog when the produced the Barnard Castle Eyesight Test beer, and suggested the could produce a Stout / Porter type of beer called, (after the Roger Whittaker 70’s hit), “(I’ve gotta leave) Old Durham Town”.

They replied saying thanks for giving the marketing department a laugh on a Friday afternoon.

I’d like to write to them suggesting they produce beers for Ferrier’s covid-ridden train journey or Bunter Blackford’s jolly up to the Highlands, but I’m pretty sure I’d be wasting my time. Brewdog appear to be highly selective regarding who they allow to appear on their cans.

The going out the front door with a cardboard box looked stage managed to me.

Of course it was - the question is, who was stage managing it? Who wanted a symbol to make it clear that Cummings had "left"?

Given that he hasn't actually left but is working from home, I half wonder if it wasn't his idea, to allow him to carry on working even when everyone thinks he has gone for good.

Obviously there's an incentive for the Carrie gang to present it as a "fresh start" that allows them to present Johnson as all cuddly again and free from the malign influence of Cummings. Not that it's going to work given Johnson's utter unsuitability for the job and the fact that a lot of the realities of Brexit are going to crystallise as he finally has to make a decision on what form it takes. But Carrie's a PR person so she's doing what she knows.

More significantly - all this fluff has been an effective distraction from the big story this week, which was Barnier being in London for the absolute last-gasp Brexit talks.

Latest posts

Back