Curry Compendium

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I saw this on twitter a few minutes ago may be of interest to the members here.

Holy Haldi, it's #NationalCurryWeek! #Indus is taking a look at a new book that claims to be a guide to recreating British Indian Restaurant favourites.
@TalatFarooqAwan
chats to author of
@MistyRicardo's Curry Compendium, Richard Sayce.

LISTEN LIVE: (rewind to 18:50) https://bbc.in/3DmYtuW

1633890023503.png

Last edited:
I've got 2 of his books already had some great recipes out of them athumb..
I have them too - great recipes. He has a first rate YouTube channel as well. I thoroughly recommend the books. It helps if you have the right ingredients. Despite living in the depths of ruralshire we have an excellent spice shop run by the family that has three different restaurants in town.

So am I fully stocked on spices actually had to get some Cassia Bark on Wednesday and a freezer full of Base gravy, without it the curries are very basic athumb..

I went with Dan Toombes but the principles seem the same....

I assume this boom goes down the same rabbit hole where a recipe includes Mix Powder, go to recipe... Includes Tandoori Masala, go to recipe for that.... Includes Garam Masala, go to recipe for that...... Its bloody never ending! Results are very very good though. It has resulted in me storing a large plastic box of purely indian ingredients in my garage that I can lift into the kitchen when needed.

I'm now fully stocked on base gravy and mix powder. We'll worth the effort...curries aren't quite the same without it!
The mix powder I use is sold by my local spice shop and is th same one the family use in their restaurants. There are three brothers and they each run an establishment - different styles, though I have my favourite. Needless to say the exact make up of the mix is a closely guarded family secret (it's £3 for a takeaway container full which is pretty good value!).
I went with Dan Toombes but the principles seem the same....

I assume this boom goes down the same rabbit hole where a recipe includes Mix Powder, go to recipe... Includes Tandoori Masala, go to recipe for that.... Includes Garam Masala, go to recipe for that...... Its bloody never ending! Results are very very good though. It has resulted in me storing a large plastic box of purely indian ingredients in my garage that I can lift into the kitchen when needed.

You can do that but proprietary masalas and mixes are just fine for every day cooking.

One of my favourite recipes is from Rick Stein's book. You throw lots of onions, whole spices and rough chopped lamb in, cover it in water and simmer for two hours. It tastes even better after a day in the fridge.

Aki, who runs my favourite restaurant swears that the key is'Ghee, ghee and more ghee'. I leave it out of the wife's home cooked ones though as she and dairy 'don't get on'.

Latest posts

Back