Curry...!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Clint I recently (accidentally) bought this from the local Sainsbury’s because they were all out of their own brand stuff. What a revelation! Don’t know how it compares to your ‘Special Stuff’ but we won’t be going back to own brand. Lovely long grains and mild nutty aroma.

https://shop.veetee.com/products/veetee-himilayan-basmati
Quick rinse in a sieve, 1 measure or rice, 2 measures of cold water, bring to the boil, one stir, tight lid on, lowest possible flame, 12 minutes undisturbed, done!

Or, slowly fry off a finely sliced small onion in 1tbsp oil, add 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1tsp cumin seeds, 1“ cinnamon stick, 2 cardamon pods, 1 or 2 bay leaves, 3 cloves, 4 black peppercorns and fry for 1 min. Add 1 cup rinsed basmati and fry for 1 min. Add 2 cups cold water, bring to the boil, stir once, tight fitting lid on and simmer undisturbed for 12 minutes.

I'm pretty sure I saw sacks of basmati in Aldi or Lidl, I'll Keep my eyes open.

Mark

It was Lidl 2 sizes of sacks.

Mark
IMG_20200618_105812575.jpg

My "best original" stuff in the brown bag required very little rinsing if any and didn't go gloopy.
Depending on what I buy now it takes a couple of goes to get it to behave.
Definitely rinse until all starch and cloudiness is removed. I don't soak,it goes in a pan with cold water and brought up to boil then reduced to a simmer. I watch it and as soon as I see a change in grain length I start tasting...once aldente that's it,switch off and drain. I leave it in the pan for a couple of minutes for any moisture to evaporate and then fluff it up.

Lamb with spinach. Both in season at the moment but only the spinach is from the garden(massive glut of it just now, used 4 times the recipe amount)
1592513749232.png

Edit - from "50 great curries of india". Had the book for years but I'm sure this is the only recipe I've made from it. The book falls open on this page.

Last edited:
Thank you for the "insanely complicated" formula... tongue-in-cheek.
Next time I cook some rice I will try your method Session. Won't be for a while though, as I have about a dozen pouches of 2 minute microwave rice to use up first! :-)

Maybe too much water or stirring too much? I don’t always rinse the rice, only if I think of it. I’ve only had stodgy rice if I tried simmering in lots of water to drain after. The evaporation method always works for me. 1 part rice, 2 parts water. Tight fitting lid, lowest possible simmer and resist stirring during the simmer!!! 👍🏼

Easy, buy a 1 or 2 litre rice cooker from the Asian (Chinese) wholesaler. Best bit of kit ever - basmati or sticky Asian rice a breeze.

Can’t believe I’m only discovering this thread now, some of these recipes look fab! I’ve made huge batches of base sauce before from ‘The Curry Secret’ book, but I fancy a change.

Think the recipe on post #12 could be on tonight. Matar Paneer but with tofu instead. Going to be a busy day today, curry, building a sourdough loaf, make chapattis AND fixing the shelves in the brewery after they had a disagreement with my glassware! 😩

Can’t believe I’m only discovering this thread now, some of these recipes look fab! I’ve made huge batches of base sauce before from ‘The Curry Secret’ book, but I fancy a change.

Think the recipe on post #12 could be on tonight. Matar Paneer but with tofu instead. Going to be a busy day today, curry, building a sourdough loaf, make chapattis AND fixing the shelves in the brewery after they had a disagreement with my glassware! 😩
Tofu works great in indian cooking.

Latest posts

Back