Curry...!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this recipe recently, and can recommend it for simplicity and the relatively short time it takes to prepare
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/aromatic_beef_curry_90850All the spices are powdered (for a change), and most, if not all, should be in the average curry chef's ingredients box. I use slightly more onion, but keep the rest more or less the same, except for rounded teaspoons of spices which produces a medium hot curry (at least for me). It should do three or four portions dependant upon how much you like on your plate. I do all the first parts in a pan and then it all goes into the slow cooker to cook through. And I have a lamb version on the go at the moment which will be served later. Yum athumb..

I found this recipe recently, and can recommend it for simplicity and the relatively short time it takes to prepare
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/aromatic_beef_curry_90850All the spices are powdered (for a change), and most, if not all, should be in the average curry chef's ingredients box. I use slightly more onion, but keep the rest more or less the same, except for rounded teaspoons of spices which produces a medium hot curry (at least for me). It should do three or four portions dependant upon how much you like on your plate. I do all the first parts in a pan and then it all goes into the slow cooker to cook through. And I have a lamb version on the go at the moment which will be served later. Yum athumb..
Can't beat a lamb curry Terry athumb..

I made a veg curry last week but didn't have any base gravy made up, so for a quick fix used passata as I would have used the base gravy and did everything else the same. It came out pretty close but lacked a bit of the depth, but a big time saving

cracking on with prep for Christmas lunch:

spiced lamb shoulder
yoghurt “gravy”
cumin roast potatoes
brussel sprout thoran
green bean yoghurt curry

photos to follow!

The lamb is my wife’s department. The dry spice mix is mace, fennel and star anise. Marinading in a paste of fried onions, garlic, ginger, chilli. The gravy is meat juices, yoghurt, cumin, coriander and saffron.

0B4275F9-9D4C-455F-B2B6-EB64B5004A82.jpeg

32F717B9-7B7E-49E3-8C6E-0A65F2A64DB7.jpeg

I’m on sides, chopping all done and into labelled tubs with the summary instructions on them. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!

1359E68B-3E33-4137-9541-CF9F325238F1.jpeg

Last edited:
The lamb is my wife’s department. The dry spice mix is mace, fennel and star anise. Marinading in a paste of fried onions, garlic, ginger, chilli. The gravy is meat juices, yoghurt, cumin, coriander and saffron.

View attachment 38224

View attachment 38228

I’m on sides, chopping all done and into labelled tubs with the summary instructions on them. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!

View attachment 38226
Any chance of a delivery please.....enjoy, looks awesome!

Well that was delicious. Kids ate next to nothing but I thought it was maybe the best Christmas lunch I’ve ever had

A013FD10-F290-4DBE-8508-F2E75BA5C66B.jpeg

Last edited:
1.5kg Lamb: marinade overnight, roast for 10 mins at 200C and 45 mins at 180C then rest for half an hour.

Gravy: meat juice plus yoghurt and spices.

Potatoes: parboil and roast in goose fat as normal. Add cumin seeds and ground turmeric for the last 20 mins and fresh curry leaves for the last 5 mins

Brussels: pulse them in a food processor to shred them. Oil and mustard seeds until the seeds spit. Add sliced shallots, ginger, garlic and red chilli, fry for a few minutes then add the sprouts, dessicated coconut, curry leaves and turmeric, keep frying until the sprouts are cooked.

Beans: steam the green beans in the microwave. Mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds with oil until they spit. Add shallots, garlic, ginger and green chilli and fry. Stir in a diced tomato and cook until the tomato is fully broken down. Take off the heat and stir through the beans and a tables spoon of yoghurt per person.

Did a "Left-overs Biryani" today!

Ingredients:
  • 2 x Dessertspoonful of Olive oil.
  • Curry & Turmeric Powder.
  • Chilli Flakes.
  • 200g Uncooked Basmati rice.
  • 400ml of cold water.
  • Cooked turkey.
  • Roasted potatoes. parsnips, sprouts and chestnuts.
  • 2 x Knorr Chicken Stock Cubes.
  • 2 x Teaspoonful of sugar.
  • 1 x Tin of Coconut Milk.
Method:

In large saucepan:
  • Fry Curry and Turmeric Powder with Chilli Flakes in Olive oil.
  • Add Basmati rice, cold water and Coconut Milk.
  • Add Stock cubes and sugar. (Taste and add more Curry Powder & Chilli Flakes if not spicy enough.)
  • Gently add cooked left-overs and submerge in liquid.

Put the lid on the saucepan and put it on lowest possible heat for a minimum of two hours. (I used setting "1" on my electric hob.)

After two hours, the rice should be cooked and the Biryani can be eaten. Serve in bowls with Nan Bread by using a ladle.

IF it is left until such time as the rice sticks to the bottom and burns don't panic! After serving up the top layer, the bottom layer can be allowed to cool for a few minutes and the brown/black rice will be easily removed with a serving spoon and added to the bowls. It tastes delicious. (*)

Enjoy!

(*)
In our house the phrase "Cooked like Mother used to make." actually meant "Burnt black and scraped to a delicious golden brown." so I have been brought up to appreciate what Mum called "burnt offerings" and now like a lot of my food what many would deem "burned". e.g. Toast, rice, bread, tomatoes, bacon, chops, eggs etc etc. You have been warned!

I had not heard of this dish Paneer Khurchan before and tried it the other day. 28 Ingredients! so took some prep work but the end result was excellent so thought will share

This is one of my favourite threads on THBF.
Thanks to all who have contributed. If you like British Indian Restaurant food I can highly recommend this book. Dan follows the base “gravy” recipe approach too, and I’ve never been disappointed with the results.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 65
This is one of my favourite threads on THBF.
Thanks to all who have contributed. If you like British Indian Restaurant food I can highly recommend this book. Dan follows the base recipe approach too, and I’ve never been disappointed with the results.
got that and one of his others. top nosh.

I have some roast chicken left from yesterday so for tonight I'm planning on using most of it in a vindaloo...not my usual practice as I tend to BBQ the meat beforehand..but I need the heat and can't waste it!!
I shall concoct a fiendish sauce with onions, peppers,hot chillies,garlic,ginger, vinegar,spices and lashings of base gravy...in which will be cooked some potatoes. Chicken will be added at the end...
A few pints of drinking liquid will also be required...
Sounds like a well thought out plan!

I have some roast chicken left from yesterday so for tonight I'm planning on using most of it in a vindaloo...not my usual practice as I tend to BBQ the meat beforehand..but I need the heat and can't waste it!!
I shall concoct a fiendish sauce with onions, peppers,hot chillies,garlic,ginger, vinegar,spices and lashings of base gravy...in which will be cooked some potatoes. Chicken will be added at the end...
A few pints of drinking liquid will also be required...
Sounds like a well thought out plan!
An incredibly well thought out plan!

IMG_20210118_154917.jpg

That's the curry nearly done...thought I'd crack on with it to save me messing about in the dark later.
I've tempered it with a couple of teaspoons of balsamic vinegar... initial taste is hot,sour..and it produces a runny nose! That'll do!

Latest posts

Back