Curry...!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left over Lamb Biryani, I do love the smell of the spices, when I go to Hindustani Imports as soon as I get out of the car I am hit with the smell of the spices.
My wife will not be pleased with this one, I have put half a leftover roast spud in this. She reckons spuds and curry don't go together! Pigs ****. First meal she cooked me was a curry with curried potatoes on the side.
012.JPG

Last edited:
Left over Lamb Biryani, I do love the smell of the spices, when I go to Hindustani Imports as soon as I get out of the car I am hit with the smell of the spices.
My wife will not be pleased with this one, I have put half a leftover roast spud in this. She reckons spuds and curry don't go together! Pigs ****. First meal she cooked me was a curry with curried potatoes on the side.
View attachment 39919
Potatoes and lamb in a curry is a heavenly combo!!!!

Got Dan Toombs Curry Guy Bible recently. So far only made the Chilli Garlic (lamb instead of chicken) but the book looks absolutely sensational. Cant wait to get stuck into it.

Fr those of you who have pizza ovens, I made homemade naan in my Ooni koda and it was really good. Well worth doing.

I don't know what it is about supermarket curry these days. But it seems lame, almost tasteless and pointless buying it. I haven't made an Indian in months. It's always the same with suppliers, they water stuff down for the so-called English palate. Euch. This stuff has to be made from scratch now else it's just not worth doing =)

I don't know what it is about supermarket curry these days. But it seems lame, almost tasteless and pointless buying it. I haven't made an Indian in months. It's always the same with suppliers, they water stuff down for the so-called English palate. Euch. This stuff has to be made from scratch now else it's just not worth doing =)

I agree they’re pretty much all rubbish. I don’t mind the Charlie Bigham curries so much, they’re available in most supermarkets now I think. Worth a try if you haven’t.

I find some of the pastes can be fairly decent but pre packaged sauces are dire. I still think some of the best curries I had was while a student in Leicester I cannot for the life of me recall the name but it was a purely vegetarian restaurant but it was vegetarian curry done right food was often aromatic could be spicy but never to the point that it overpowered and was always full of flavour was a genuine example of how when done correctly rather than as an after thought vegetarian food can be excellent.

Just had a Phall from asda tonight not bad but not as good as our local Indian takeaway,
still I know what to expect tomorrow, be beating the flames out with a newspaper🚽

I haven't had a "shop bought curry" since eating a Vesta Beef Curry way back in the 60's; when they were the spiciest food you could buy! (I still buy the Vesta Chow Mien from Tesco and love it!)

I admit that there is nothing quite like a home made curry (I use fresh or dried chillies, cumin seeds, turmeric, coriander seeds, garlic and a bit of garam marsala) but during lockdown I have been stuck with Tesco's Hot Curry Powder!

To this I always add Chillies (either powdered or dried) to bring up the "heat" to acceptable levels and maybe some powdered Turmeric, Cardamom seeds and a soupçon of Asafoetida to add some aroma.

We get our second vaccine jab in 6 days time and a week after that we will venture out into the world of supermarkets, to hopefully find better ingredients! athumb..

I haven't had a "shop bought curry" since eating a Vesta Beef Curry way back in the 60's; when they were the spiciest food you could buy! (I still buy the Vesta Chow Mien from Tesco and love it!)

I admit that there is nothing quite like a home made curry (I use fresh or dried chillies, cumin seeds, turmeric, coriander seeds, garlic and a bit of garam marsala) but during lockdown I have been stuck with Tesco's Hot Curry Powder!

To this I always add Chillies (either powdered or dried) to bring up the "heat" to acceptable levels and maybe some powdered Turmeric, Cardamom seeds and a soupçon of Asafoetida to add some aroma.

We get our second vaccine jab in 6 days time and a week after that we will venture out into the world of supermarkets, to hopefully find better ingredients! athumb..
I can smell it from here, I like making my own too, we have a slow cooker jalfezi recipe but sometimes get over zealous with the chillies(all dry ingredients). 1 jab down 1 to go

Hi
I always make my own curries with dried spices, hotter the better. I was lucky enough to worked in Sri Lanka for while.

I picked up some fresh turmeric yesterday, something I've never used. I've put some with garlic ginger chillies tikka spices and yogurt in the blitzer and marinated some lamb for tomorrow night.

Ive started doing BIR curries and waiting on Misty Ricardo’s Vol 1 book arriving. Fed up of the acid taste of shop-bought garlic & ginger paste I make mine in batches now, both ginger & garlic are £1.99/kg from a not too distant Asian shop. Made with oil and topped with a layer of oil it keeps well in the fridge or can be frozen. I always have a stock of fresh spices. The big game changer is a good base gravy - replicating a favourite take away curry is impossible without this.

Ive started doing BIR curries and waiting on Misty Ricardo’s Vol 1 book arriving. Fed up of the acid taste of shop-bought garlic & ginger paste I make mine in batches now, both ginger & garlic are £1.99/kg from a not too distant Asian shop. Made with oil and topped with a layer of oil it keeps well in the fridge or can be frozen. I always have a stock of fresh spices. The big game changer is a good base gravy - replicating a favourite take away curry is impossible without this.
The frozen garlic and ginger paste is really good and cheap, most supermarkets sell it.

You'll really struggle to get gas, especially Calor at the moment.
They won't even allow new contracts on anything other than the 5Kg Patio gas for the foreseeable future..

Back