Curry...!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A8052AB0-AA13-47B6-8BC3-8EABCE898811.jpeg

Two brick job thanks Clint😂

Decided our existing spices were probably getting a bit long in the tooth, so a trip to the Hatfield Rd to visit the Asian food stores - man those places are fantastic... I love seeing all the different types of unusual fruit and vegetables.

I had to ask where to find the Chana Dhal, and the bloke took me to the 'dhal section' - about 20 different types of split peas, lentils and pulses. Fantastic.

IMG_5796.JPG

It's all about the base....
And indeed, after a lot of puréeing garlic and ginger; and toasting/grinding Garam Masala, here it is !

First time I've made this base curry, which seems to be the starting point for all the 'British Indian Restaurant' curries in the book... I had no idea there would be so much veg in it :-)

IMG_5807.JPG
IMG_5813.JPG

Tastes very pleasant - like a sort of creamy, mild onion gravy. About 3L of it here - wonder how many curries that will do....?

It's a Jamie Oliver...but it's knackered! I'm looking to buy a new one soon. The fire box is burnt through on this one...its used most weeks..all year. Weber for me next.
Just in case of any use to you ... 20% off Weber to Times subscribers this month - probably worth more than the price of the subscription

Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 22.08.23.png

We are moving house soon and are having white worktops installed so I think I’ll be doing a Clint and having to make my curries outside on the bbq!
Heh - in their new house my sister and brother in law recently bought, instead of a utility room there's a second kitchen. The wife of the couple that previously owned it refused to allow him to cook curry in the main kitchen :laugh8:

I grind spices and make pastes using an attachment that came with a kenwood food processor that I’ve had and used for over 25 years.

The attachment has a bottom locking ring, a four blade grinder and a glass storage jar and lid to seal the end product.

The processor came with four jars and lids, which are great for storing pastes in the fridge.

D9379E24-43C3-495F-9306-F15F34C33F58.jpeg
FE5E90E4-13EE-40F3-AA1C-465E29BA35A7.jpeg

Think I may have finally cracked it with the chapattis... this is a test run for this evening, just with two.
The trick seems to be (a) roll it out really thin; and (b) put it direct on the gas flame after the dry-frying stage - a bit scary, but bingo! athumb..

FWIW, I used the 'Elephant' brand chapatti flour.
They have the right texture but they are very bland... there's no salt in the recipe, but I wonder if a pinch wouldn't go amiss?

IMG_5818.JPG
IMG_5821.JPG
IMG_5822.JPG
IMG_5824.JPG

Back