Curry...!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly can’t take credit for those , there were pakoras too . My brother sources them from an Indian sweet shop in gravesend. They come with a hot/sweet:sour dip which is fantastic.

Never attempted samosas myself , I’ll scan through a few of my books and post up if I find anything …

Yeah it's that dip recipe I'd love to know. Must be reasonably straightforward, but it's knowing the amounts, and guessing those secret 1 or 2 ingredients

A bit like kebab shop chili sauce - years ago each shop made their own, but now its all bought from the cash & carry and less flavoursome

Christmas present clapa

Attachments

• IMG-20220103-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20220103-WA0000.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 48
Look up Misty Ricardo on YouTube. My latest batch off Steven Heaps channel...its described as Bangladeshi restraunt style.
The Misty is a good place to start,I also add a handful of cabbage.
There are loads of base gravy recipes out there, its difficult to know where to start. I was watching some of Al's Kitchen videos, to try and get a bit of inspiration, but will look at Misty Ricardo.

I love her food for me it is real curry Lamb Madras Recipe - YouTube without the base gravy, check her out
I'd not seen her before, but that recipe looks fantastic and I'll explore her channel for more recipes. I like to grind whole spices in a coffee grinder too. I think there is a place for the 'BIR' recipe - cooked fast and furious with a base gravy and the slower cooked curry. One of my favourites is a Rick Stein Dopiaza that is really just 'throw it all in a pan, cover with water and simmer for three hours'. I also leave it in the fridge for a couple of days to mature.

When I met my wife, some 30 years ago it seemed 'doomed'. I was a beer-swilling, curry guzzling squaddie. Although she too was in the Army, she didn't (and still doesn't) drink to any real degree and had never eaten curry!

I now do range of curries that she likes - she has recently acquired a taste for biryani which I can produce to her satisfaction - even if my pal Aki at the 7 Spice (who runs one three restaurants set up by his father and run by three brothers) does make her favourite version. (I still drink beer but we managed to have an extension built last year and I didn't end up underneath it!)

Risking the Wrath of the Curry Illuminati.

I like curry but some members of the household have intolerances - limited gluten, FODMAP diets (no or very little onion/garlic) so you can see my issue.

I used Patacs paste then Spice Taylor but both seem to have changed - more pepper n less flavour.

I'm looking for alternatives I don't want to have to buy 57 varieties :) of spices most of which would be out of date before they were used up.

What do you recomend?

Thanks

aamcle

Gluten free is hard enough, but no onions or garlic is very difficult, most commercial sauces and marinades have either or both in them.
However great curry can be made without them using the basic spices and a good helping of yoghurt stired in late in the cooking.

Risking the Wrath of the Curry Illuminati.

I like curry but some members of the household have intolerances - limited gluten, FODMAP diets (no or very little onion/garlic) so you can see my issue.

I used Patacs paste then Spice Taylor but both seem to have changed - more pepper n less flavour.

I'm looking for alternatives I don't want to have to buy 57 varieties :) of spices most of which would be out of date before they were used up.

What do you recomend?

Thanks

aamcle
I've done curries that could easily be done without onions for garlic - dry dishes like shish or tikka. There's one that uses cardamom as a main ingredient. Onions give a thickness - lentils cooked slowly would have the same effect (I usually put lentils into a casserole for this). Trial and error may be the best way, it'd be fun to experiment too. If you have a local spice shop you might ask them for advice, they are often (as is ours) run by the same family that has a restaurant and are very knowledgeable about dietary requirements.

I didn't mention it but no lentils or chickpeas for them either, I sometimes make myself a batch of daal split it and freeze portions as "can't be bothered to cook" rations.

Back