Curry...!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rice...my latest favourite...get to Asda find the Veetee rice in a box. Its the PURPLE one you want.

The Asda store which handles my deliveries does not stock Veetee in anything other than 250g-500g packs. No idea why.

Capture Veetee.JPG

Wife is out for the evening, so I am being adventurous (for me, that is) and doing Misty's Chicken Vindaloo. Rice is cooked with the leftover water from precooking the chicken, plus a little ghee. Pint of homebrew lager to go with it.
I've never had Vindaloo before. I always thought it was for the brave. Yes, it's hot, but it's really good too!
Very happy right now.

I looked at the MR Vindaloo recipe and moved on. I thought, like you, it would be too hot. Just how hot is it? 'Break out in a sweat after one spoonful' hot? Not as bad as that? Worse?

The Asda store which handles my deliveries does not stock Veetee in anything other than 250g-500g packs. No idea why.

View attachment 66363

I looked at the MR Vindaloo recipe and moved on. I thought, like you, it would be too hot. Just how hot is it? 'Break out in a sweat after one spoonful' hot? Not as bad as that? Worse?
It's the one in the purple box bottom left.

It's the one in the purple box bottom left.

Sorry, Clint. I was after a mega bag. Ordered two of the 5kg Laila bags and they are now in a cupboard. Not a hoarder by any means, but I think supplies of everything I like, and use almost daily, are going to be hit and hit hard over the coming months.

No sweating from me, just more of an "oh, it's a little hot".
I was expecting sweat to be honest. Cooking it did set me off coughing though!

No sweating from me, just more of an "oh, it's a little hot".
I was expecting sweat to be honest. Cooking it did set me off coughing though!

Vindaloo tomorrow then. I'm keen to try out the Laila rice. I'm not a wimp, but a tablespoon of Kashmiri Curry Powder? ashock1

I've got a vindaloo tonight, bought an Extra Hot Indian Meal for 2 from Asda yesterday, had the Phall last night and I'm still recovering from it. 🔥

The vindaloo should be much milder.

From what I read in Curry Compendium, Kashmiri Chilli poweder is rather mild. I followed the recipe to the letter and was comfortable eating it athumb..

No idea what I bought then AG. It was Kashmiri and it definitely wasn't mild. It was so hot, I threw most of the bag in the bin.

A Keralan stir fried dish of cabbage and onion with coconut, black mustard seeds and chilli. ……..

I sailed with a Keralan crew on a Drill-ship back in the 90’s and I swear that the cook made some of the most fantastic meals (and some of the most spicy) that I have ever tasted!

The stir-fried mixture above comes under the category of “Superb, but we would never offer it to guests!” mainly because most of them wouldn’t have the palate for it!

I well remember the day I saw a pakora (served with chai) shaped like a chilli. I thought it was a bit of battered cabbage or cauliflower stem: I was wrong!asad.asad.

Here’s a recipe for chai. It’s a bit of a faff, but it’s the nearest thing to what I tasted in India that I’ve found:

Ingredients
  • 2 mugs milk (or use almond milk)
  • 2 English Breakfast tea bags
  • 6 cracked cardamom pods
  • ½ cinnamon stick
  • a grating of fresh nutmeg
  • 2 cloves
  • 2-4 tsp light brown soft sugar
Method
  • Heat the milk in a saucepan over a very low heat. Empty the contents of the tea bags into the pan, then add the cracked cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, nutmeg and cloves.
  • Sweeten with light brown soft sugar to taste (chai tea should be sweet, but use less if you like), then leave to infuse, but not boil, for 10 mins.
  • Strain into mugs and enjoy.

I sailed with a Keralan crew on a Drill-ship back in the 90’s and I swear that the cook made some of the most fantastic meals (and some of the most spicy) that I have ever tasted!

The stir-fried mixture above comes under the category of “Superb, but we would never offer it to guests!” mainly because most of them wouldn’t have the palate for it!

I well remember the day I saw a pakora (served with chai) shaped like a chilli. I thought it was a bit of battered cabbage or cauliflower stem: I was wrong!asad.asad.

Here’s a recipe for chai. It’s a bit of a faff, but it’s the nearest thing to what I tasted in India that I’ve found:

Ingredients
  • 2 mugs milk (or use almond milk)
  • 2 English Breakfast tea bags
  • 6 cracked cardamom pods
  • ½ cinnamon stick
  • a grating of fresh nutmeg
  • 2 cloves
  • 2-4 tsp light brown soft sugar
Method
  • Heat the milk in a saucepan over a very low heat. Empty the contents of the tea bags into the pan, then add the cracked cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, nutmeg and cloves.
  • Sweeten with light brown soft sugar to taste (chai tea should be sweet, but use less if you like), then leave to infuse, but not boil, for 10 mins.
  • Strain into mugs and enjoy.
I’ll be giving that a try tomorrow :hat:

IMG_20220413_174329.jpg

Misty Ricardo's Chicken Madras

Absolutely delicious and as hot as I want any curry to be. I'll give the Vindaloo a miss. The Madras is as fiery as I am prepared to go.

Didn't detect much difference in taste between the fresh spices in his Spice Mixture (which I did for the first time tonight) and using all dry spices in the recipe. Though I saw a suggestion here to cook the rice in the liqour used to pre-cook the chicken. That did make a difference.

Last Sunday, SWMBO was away visiting her reptiles relatives. I did Misty Ricardo's Butter chicken. Not one I'd done before but I did it faithfully - apart from a dash of milk instead of cream as we didn't have any. MR describes it as a once a year dish as it is rich and uses 'a lot' of ghee. the Kashmiri chilli powder is perfect for the rich deep flavour and Doom Bar perfect accompaniment. I do have a few bottles of Directors left but just fancied Doom Bar. [forgive rotation -don't know why it does that]
tempImagetNeoV4.png

No idea what I bought then AG. It was Kashmiri and it definitely wasn't mild. It was so hot, I threw most of the bag in the bin.
Kashmiri chillis (whole and powdered) give a beautiful red tint and I would say the flavour is rich and deep rather than fiery. I would say it equates to a medium hot conventional chilli powder. If I'm 'chukinitinabukit' cooking, Kashmiri chilli is my go to for a it of oomph.

Sister-in-Law visits on Monday so planning a mild, sweet and very simple Chicken Passandra with rice.

Ingredients
Chicken Breast
1 x Large Onion
4 x Cloves of Garlic *
1tsp of Chilli Powder *
3tsp of Turmeric
1tbsp of Golden Syrup
100g Desiccated Coconut
500ml Coconut Cream
2 x Chicken Stock Cubes

Method
  1. Fry the chicken and onion (chopped) in oil until brown.
  2. Turn down the heat and add garlic cloves (sliced), chilli powder and turmeric.
  3. Add coconut cream, stock cubes, desiccated coconut and syrup and simmer whilst rice is cooking.
  4. Adjust for saltiness, heat, sweetness and liquidity. *
  5. Serve with “3 Rice”. **
All to be washed down with beer or a sparkling wine!

* Sister-in-Law not used to “hot” hence a Passandra.
** See my previous recipe.

It’s a simple recipe that can be knocked up in a relatively short time. The sauce will probably need the addition of water.

Enjoy! athumb..

Latest posts

Back