Curry...!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can...get on the start of this thread...

I made the gravy yesterday, boiled the chicken earlier and then made the curry tonight, and it actually came out tasting like something from an Indian restaurant which is great, probably the best curry I've made. Thinking it needs a bit more body though, maybe more tomato puree or coconut milk or caramelisation, not sure.

It's not any particular curry I just reduced the base gravy with onion, pepper and tomato puree. Surprising how thin the base gravy needs to be as well.

20200827_220439.jpg

I pretty much lined my kitchen with foil because turmeric stains like nothing else, made clearing away easy and I will reuse it next time.
Screenshot_20200827-222505_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I have never read this thread. I have resisted the temptation.

Every time the thread title resurfaces on the "new posts" list it makes me hungry! Grrrr!

For a chilli sauce recipe you could try Jamie Oliver’s - How to make chilli sauce on YouTube.

It will give you a basic idea. I’ve used it in the past, but usEd Scotch Bonnets as the chilli.

It works well and has kept for around 2 years.

I pretty much lined my kitchen with foil because turmeric stains like nothing else, made clearing away easy and I will reuse it next time.
Talking of which, I found some fresh turmeric in a supermarket not so long ago. It's truly amazing. Didn't expect to see it again so I planted some of the rhizomes and they're growing nicely. However, a second batch came in a week or so ago. If you can get it, I recommend you try it.

Fresh curry leaves is another... probably sticked in Asian shops but very rare in the likes of Asda...seen them once in Asda.
I've never seen them here. I've had dried ones from Amazon, but they're little better than useless. Ordered some seeds to try growing some, also from Amazon, should have known better as they came via Chinapost and, of course, nothing came of them.

Looks like Waitrose do fresh curry leaves
Ive used many a dried curry leaf in my curries but never really noticed that they add anything, must try the frsh ones then if I can get them. One of the best curries I ever had was actually a veg curry which can be a bit bland but this was in a Ghurka Restaurant in Dawlish and it was delicious and that was loaded with curry leaves.
Chick Pea and home grown spinach curry for me tonight,

I can take no credit for this but would like to pass on the info...
YouTube...
Misty Ricardo...and follow!
I mix bits from recipes to get where I want it and add as much heat as you like. Makes "British Indian restaurant" style curries. A bit of messing about to get set up but nothing you can't find at a decent supermarket or Asian store.
This is tandoori chicken Madras..View attachment 19136
That looks great Clint, I'll have a gander. I'm I bit of a curry fanatic myself, over the years I must have made hundreds :-) I follow Latifs inspired Latifs Inspired among others, he's a good character!

Saw this thread and was about to recommend Misty Ricardo and lo and behold hes referenced in the first post!
Great recipes Ive cooked many times.

does anybody have a recipe for chilli sauce,

I love this one for Kebab shop chilli sauce. Very easy very quick and add spicy to anything.

Kebab Shop Chilli Sauce

Actually I find this could work if you are trying to reduce your salt intake as it almost taste salty on food but doesn't contain any! Weird!?

buddsy

Ive used many a dried curry leaf in my curries but never really noticed that they add anything, must try the fresh ones then if I can get them. .
Chick Pea and home grown spinach curry for me tonight,
I ordered some fresh and used about 8 the curry but couldn't detect them, even when I ate them. The pack suggested using them in cocktails so they cant be very strong.

I did a chickpea, spinach and sweet potato curry this week as well, was perfect! Slightly overcooked the sweet potato but it made the sauce thicker so it turned out ok

20200919_121506.jpg

Going to try my hand at a curry recipe for the first time. I'm so new at this style that I didn't know curry was a blend of spices. I thought it was something akin to a cinnamon stick, seed, flower, etc. dried and ground up. I spent five minutes in the store looking at the different curry spice jars wondering why none of them had "curry" in the ingredients.
I have since Googled it.

Dave, "curry" is ingrained into UK cuisine..since Victorian times and is considered normal everywhere over here.
Have you got an Indian or Asian style restaurant in your area?
It varies massively from completely mild to ferocious hot!
What spice level do you like?

Dave, "curry" is ingrained into UK cuisine..since Victorian times and is considered normal everywhere over here.
Have you got an Indian or Asian style restaurant in your area?
It varies massively from completely mild to ferocious hot!
What spice level do you like?
I've had pad Thai from a few places and it's fantastic and I've made it at home. Some of our Asian food is a little Americanized so it's not very Asian. It's good but not authentic Asian. Indian food just never made it onto my radar until recently. I have a recipe from an experienced chef. Tasting that dish was what inspired me to make it at home. I really couldn't describe how good it was.
I don't really know about Indian restaurants in this area. I will say, Detroit and the surrounding areas are pretty diverse but especially Detroit.
I like just above mild. I bought two different curries. I think I'll be adding sparingly to get the hang of it.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back