Cut short 30min boil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boo to you Foxy. You're. only cowering over that side of the water because you can't stand the heat over here. :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Can we work Brexit and Tory scum into this thread and have a really good punch up? It is the weekend after all|

:groupdancing:
I think the best way to turn it up a notch with @foxy would be if @Dazzelknight said after his 30 minute boil he fermented it in a fermzilla ashock1 :laugh8:

I think the best way to turn it up a notch with @foxy would be if @Dazzelknight said after his 30 minute boil he fermented it in a fermzilla ashock1 :laugh8:
Now we’ve had Brexit can we drop all these German brewing terms and go back to the English ones like Gyle. 😂😂
wasn’t it the Tories who made people do a 30 minute boil by putting up energy costs 😂😂😂

You know absolutely nothing about the beer I brew, and I'm not about to start waving my willy to prove my credentials. People should be questioning what they read regardless of the source. FWIW, I'm perfectly well aware of common faults, and am able to detect them just fine thanks. (And yes, I have had my beers judged).

I do have a shred of evidence that it's fine to boil for 30 minutes. It's a method I've been using for years. I have tasted many other people's beers that have a shorter boil length, and there is a whole body of threads where people are happy with the results. I'm aware that this is all anecdote, and not peer-reviewed, but it's legitimate evidence.

It is you that have not produced evidence that it produces a bad beer.
I switched to 45 minutes, mash and boil, many years ago with no loss of quality. And a pilsner that I brewed recently came out nice and clear with only 30.

OMG, last batch I let it boiled only 30 minutes. Do you think that I should throw it in the sink? It's undrinkable? Maybe a heresy and the gods of beer shall punish me?
You're doomed. May the gods smite you and cast you into the darkness where you and those of your ilk belong.
Or, as we say in Asgard:
Megi guðirnir slá þig og varpa þér inn í myrkrið þar sem þú og ættingjar þínir tilheyrir.

But the burning question... Does God boil for 60 or 90 minutes?
God boils for 6 days and on the seventh day He rests.

Of course, if He got Himself an all-in-one, a Godfather, for example, He'd have a lot more time for answering prayers and smiting heretics and stuff. But how do you get eternal beings to worry about efficiency? asad.

Last edited:
You're wrong. That's his fermentation schedule. 6 days fermenting then seventh day is for diacetyl rest.
Wait! You mean he doesn’t follow the sacred 2-2-2 fermenting/conditioning schedule? He must make **** beer!

Here’s my 30min boil raspberry Berlinerweisse/Catharina Sour:
D917F840-18B6-497F-B222-F57EC1AED64D.jpeg

As you can see, it has turned out terrible, and my wife certainly hasn’t made it the first beer of mine she’s drank out of choice.

Here’s my 30min boil raspberry Berlinerweisse/Catharina Sour:
View attachment 68397

As you can see, it has turned out terrible, and my wife certainly hasn’t made it the first beer of mine she’s drank out of choice.
Commiserations. And remember from now on not 59 mins not 61 mins but 60 on the nose for it to be beer. Sorry good beer.

If I am reading this right, you are arguing that people enjoying the beer does not make it good 🤣

I'm always wary of what friends/family say tbh, but always happy if they enjoy the beer. Even better is sharing amongst fellow brewers (very knowledgeable, generally speaking). But unless 3 BJCP-certified say it's good, forget it. Dump it down the sink.

Personally I dump mine unless Charlie Bamforth personally gives me the thumbs up.

I've not said I've never entered a competition. I said I'm not going to enter a willy-waving competition. It adds little to the discussion. There is nothing to say that 3 judges in one competition, will be consistent with 3 judges in another competition. It's one measure, and one that you seem to pin all your hopes and dreams on.
Sounds like you are grasping at straws. If you dont enter competitions how do you know how your beer is faring? The best way to know is enter competitions and get the feed back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back