Quantcast

Cwrw's first brewday for 2018

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's 3 weeks since I had the heart attack, 2 now since having a couple of stents fitted. So... time for a brewday!

The only thing I'm supposed to avoid is lifting heavy weights - not alcohol thank goodness. So instead of a 5 gallon brew I'm going for a 3 gallon one so I should still be fine for lugging the FV about as it'll be no heavier than a bale of hay which I was chucking about this morning anyway when I was feeding my sheep.

Bragawd (honey ale)
3 gallon brew

5 Lbs pale malt, freshly ground
17g chocolate malt
7 ozs biscuit malt
5.5 ozs crystal 200

(sorry for the mixture of metric and imperial, but I have a small metric weigher, and an imperial set of kitchen scales)

80 minute mash at 146F (oh yes, and my thermometer is an old glass dairy thermometer in fahrenheit)

Boil:
15g Challenger (80m)
10g Target (5m)
Irish moss (5m)
1 jar of Tescos finest orange blossom honey (5m) (gives the brew a lovely citrussy zing)

So it's basically the Greg Hughes recipe. Currently I'm in the middle of the mash. Mashing in 3 gallons of water. I'll be sparging in about half a gallon of hot water and hopefully after the boil it'll be back to 3 gallons again.
Past experience shows that the hop filter always totally clogs up with this brew so I'll probably be tipping the wort into the FV or I could go posh and use a syphon tube...

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's very nice. I've upped the hops slightly from the original recipe but it's still very low in hops.
I had a bottle of Waggledance a while back ind that tastes like p*** in comparison. Honey ale as ordinary ale that's been fortified by adding sugar in the form of honey. So commercial beers that are around 4% are basically 3% beers with a bit more alcohol.