CWTCH - bottles only two days in the warm?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfajerry

Reaction score
As per title really, people who have brewed this, did you follow the instructions and only keep bottles/keg in the warm for two days?

Largely tend to ignore the instructions on most beer kits. Main thing that is important with Cwtch is putting the first lot of hops in at the start of fermentation after that I stuck to my usual routine, 2 weeks ferment, add remaining hops 2-3 days, cold crash 1-2 days, bottle or keg.

If bottling or using a pressure barrel and relying in secondary fermentation for fizz then I would give it two weeks somewhere warm (i.e. 20°C) for two weeks, then just move it somewhere cooler to condition until such time as I'm ready to drink it but ideally at least another two weeks.

Last lot of this I made was force carbonated in a Corny keg so didn't have to worry about the temperature. The few remaining pints that I did stick in bottles didn't carb up that well for some reason though I used Coopers PET bottles and have had similar issues with these before.

The stuff out of the keg was superb though.

Never trust the timings in the instructions, they're nearly always over ambitious.
A good guide is 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbonating & 2 weeks conditioning.

Almost invariably, my plastic bottles firm-up in 3 or 4 days in the warm, and then go on to get super firm at 2 weeks.

My last batch however took a month to firm-up, I can only assume there was less residual yeast in suspension.

Latest posts

Back