Cwtch by Tiny Rebel Brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So............ I bottled the Cwtch last night.

Went into my LHBS to buy a secondary FV but they strongly advised me to get it bottled ASAP. Something about wanting some sediment in the bottles so it'll carb up :/

Looked cloudy but hoping it'll clear somewhat in the bottles. Had a little taste too and it was very hoppy. Sure that'll mellow in the next few weeks. I set aside 4 'trial' bottles so probably going to give a bottle a week a try.

This is my first attempt but I'm enjoying it so far.

Going to do the same kit again but add the hops in a muslin bag, then cold crash for two weeks before bottling as suggested by Jakeyboi.

It's all fun and games eh :)

The Cwtch is very very hoppy, it was way too much for me despite liking hoppy beers. Managed to get it down but I won’t be doing it again

The Cwtch is very very hoppy, it was way too much for me despite liking hoppy beers. Managed to get it down but I won’t be doing it again

How long did it take you to drink it all? The hop taste definitely fades over time and I found my Cwtch got better and better with the passing weeks/months.

Probably drank it over a 3 week period, should've just left it as it was very overpowering. Drinkable but not as enjoyable as the Festival kits I'm used to

I think that was probably the problem. Not sure if you’re bottling or keeping in a pressure barrel, but if you’re bottling it’s always worth putting 3 or 4 aside to try after 2/3 months for future reference. My Cwtch definitely improved over time and my AIPA which I bottled around 3 months ago, is now absolutely superb (though unfortunately only a few bottles left now!). If you’re keeping the beer in a barrel then obviously it won’t keep in the same way.

I have this in the FV at the moment, started it 5 days ago, brewed exactly as instructed SG was 10.042, I have it in the fridge @ 21ºc and noticed that airlock activity had all but halted after just 4/5 days, took a reading and it's 10.009, I know I should be happy but I'm kind of a little sceptical, I've never had anything finish as quickly as this, has anyone else experienced this with this kit? Not dry hopped yet, my plan was dry hop nearer the end as normal not as per the instructions.

I have this in the FV at the moment, started it 5 days ago, brewed exactly as instructed SG was 10.042, I have it in the fridge @ 21ºc and noticed that airlock activity had all but halted after just 4/5 days, took a reading and it's 10.009, I know I should be happy but I'm kind of a little sceptical, I've never had anything finish as quickly as this, has anyone else experienced this with this kit? Not dry hopped yet, my plan was dry hop nearer the end as normal not as per the instructions.

I left mine in the FV for 2 weeks but I remember did slow down pretty quickly. Guess, if you want to dry hop late then day 9 would be a good shout!

Enjoying this brew but I wish I had used bottled water over tap water. Tried an IPA that I brewed with bottled water and there was a noticeable difference.

love this beer made it several times, drinking a bottle right now

Attachments

• cwtch.png
    cwtch.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 250
Quick question about this one:

I've had this on the brew for five days and it smells very strongly of hops - almost sickly.

It's still fermenting so I've not put the second lot of pellets in yet. However, I don't really like overly happy stuff so am considering leaving them out.

Is the brewing hop smell a good indicator of how strong the taste is or does it mellow down once it's been bottled?

Quick question about this one:

I've had this on the brew for five days and it smells very strongly of hops - almost sickly.

It's still fermenting so I've not put the second lot of pellets in yet. However, I don't really like overly happy stuff so am considering leaving them out.

Is the brewing hop smell a good indicator of how strong the taste is or does it mellow down once it's been bottled?

The hops will mellow after bottling. My Cwtch was decent from the start, but definitely improved over time. I'd say at around 2/3 months after bottling, it was at its best.

My advice would be to follow the instructions to the letter - it's a very good kit and you shouldn't need to tinker with it.

The hops will mellow after bottling. My Cwtch was decent from the start, but definitely improved over time. I'd say at around 2/3 months after bottling, it was at its best.

My advice would be to follow the instructions to the letter - it's a very good kit and you shouldn't need to tinker with it.
Thanks matey, that's good to know.

I read this post ages ago and bought a kit straight away - only just got round to brewing it up - like others have said, I'm doing it to the letter.

It felt a bit weird not boiling anything and just sprinkling the yeast on top! Quick though.

I have another question!

I chucked the hops pellets in on Tuesday eve with the idea to bottle Saturday or Sunday but I have a dark brown layer on the top of the brew now - probably 10mm thick.

Kind of like a dirty krausen...

Is this normal after that sort of addition?

I really wouldn't worry about it. Just leave it alone until you're ready to bottle.

Difficult if you're going straight to bottle, but I would normally siphon off to my pressure barrel first with a muslin bag over the end of the siphon tube. That will help to stop any hop debris making its way into your beer. You can then also batch prime - add the sugar to the barrel, siphon the beer on top and then bottle from there. It's another stage and another thing to clean and sterilise, but it keeps the beer 'cleaner' and it's far simpler than adding sugar to each bottle (unless you're using carbonation drops?).

Good luck at the weekend!

Good info - ta very much.

I normally chill the FV for a day or so before transferring to a secondary for batch priming and then bottling.

I'm really looking forward to getting my chops around this given all the good reviews!

Just put my Cwtch kit in the FV and my SG is around 1050, seems a bit higher than others are reported here. I prepared as per instructions and temperature when I took the reading was 23° if that makes a difference.

Just put my Cwtch kit in the FV and my SG is around 1050, seems a bit higher than others are reported here. I prepared as per instructions and temperature when I took the reading was 23° if that makes a difference.

Ignore that, just tried with another hydrometer and reading is more like 1046 which I'm much more happy with. tried my two hydrometers in the same tap water and the readings are about 0.004 apart with the second at just about spot on 1.000. Think I'll stick with hydrometer number 2.

I found a Cwtch clone on line and got into it, purely on a whim.
Not knowing the real mccoy, I swapped out all the grain for local equivalent. Won me first prize in a brewing comp.

Just about to bottle the cwtch kit. 1040 to 1004. 4.6 abv. Tastes really hoppy. Not malt taste which is great in a kit.
Leave it for six weeks I reckon.

Back