Cyclists.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That said the amount of people you do see walking with the traffic makes you wonder if this road rule does need reiterating somehow.
I agree it's is sensible but in the highway code SHOULD is advisory, MUST is law. There are times when it does not make sense though, like walking round a blind bend with no position of safety.

I agree it's is sensible but in the highway code SHOULD is advisory, MUST is law. There are times when it does not make sense though, like walking round a blind bend with no position of safety.

You're right and it does actually mention that scenario in the code:

If there is no pavement, keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and

• be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light
  • keep close to the side of the road.
It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.

I have to take issue with that, when the road is wide enough fine but when it isn't common sense should prevail unfortunately as we all know there are good and bad car drivers and there are also good and bad cyclists.
There are, but you see quite often when the road is not wide enough if cyclists move to single file or into the gutter, then all that does is invite some drivers to try and squeeze through and as from your OP you can see just how close and fast some are willing to take this. Secondly it is quite legal for a single cyclist to ride in the middle of the carriageway, this is called taking primary position and is done to stop the above.
On double white lines, if I forget to take primary, there is always some idiot who thinks he can squeeze past without crossing the white lines when he cannot see oncoming traffic due to a bend or brow of a hill, this happens all the time

On another note, I'm quite surprised at the lack of hatred for cyclists in this thread so far!

Perhaps there are not too many Daily Mail readers that visit here :laugh8:

'Perhaps there are not too many Daily Mail readers that visit here '

No this is a place for sane, sensible, tolerant people - otherwise I wouldn't be here! (just ask the wife)asad.asad.

Its mostly down to the attitude of the person.

I class myself as a fairweather cyclist. Not quite up to club rider speeds or distances, but will do 20+ mile trips on a nice day.

Lets face it, unless its kids, most cyclists will also be drivers & pay tax.

In my view, there are not enough ordinary cyclists out there - although lockdown has helped. We need more of a dutch view that everyone can cycle, its not just the lycra brigade, but as a cyclist there are also so many things that are annoying:

Traffic claming coming out from the curb that forces you into the main traffic flow.
Cycle paths (mostly painted white lines) that are totally unsuitable.
Those with trees in the middle of them
Those that dump you at dangerous points into a busy junction
Those that expect you to stop at every side road - suitable only for small children whose walking parents need the oppertunity to catch up with them.

I find HGV drivers far better trained these days & the most considerate of drivers. However Transit sized vans are very polarised. They either give you plenty of space or are an absolute menace, there seems to be no middle ground.

Chelsea Tractors should be removed from the roads and crushed.
There is no real need for them & farmers I know don't use them as they are too wide. As one told me, He'll stick with his defender until it falls apart, as its narrow enough to fit in a passing bay when something is coming the other way down the lanes.

Also Audi's should be removed. They may be good cars but almost all their drivers have attitude problems towards other road users.
Worst offender was one who cut me up & he had a bikerack on the car. Passed him a bit later in a layby - decked out in lycra, offloading his bike. All I can say is that I hope Karma has paid him a visit.

Now I'm all cross and angry at the start of the day an need a lie down to clam down.....

I have to take issue with that, when the road is wide enough fine but when it isn't common sense should prevail unfortunately as we all know there are good and bad car drivers and there are also good and bad cyclists.

One scenario that not a lot of people know. When cycling clubs are out on a club run (i.e. dozens of them riding together, often on Sunday mornings), they sometimes ride two-abreast so that the overall distance that cars need to overtake them is halved. Intended to reduce inconvenience for motorists, but sometimes interpreted as exactly the opposite.

When Sweden changed from driving on the left to driving on the right in the 60's the change was staggered. Cars and commercial vehicles one Sunday and bikes the following Sunday.

There are, but you see quite often when the road is not wide enough if cyclists move to single file or into the gutter, then all that does is invite some drivers to try and squeeze through and as from your OP you can see just how close and fast some are willing to take this. Secondly it is quite legal for a single cyclist to ride in the middle of the carriageway, this is called taking primary position and is done to stop the above.
On double white lines, if I forget to take primary, there is always some idiot who thinks he can squeeze past without crossing the white lines when he cannot see oncoming traffic due to a bend or brow of a hill, this happens all the time

Exactly. If a driver has to make a proper overtaking maneuver he will take a wider berth and will overtake more slowly.

I am also a fairweather cyclist, often on country lanes. The first 'duty of care' that I am owed as a cyclist, is from myself, so I ensure that I cycle as safely as possible. If this means pulling into the verge for 10 seconds whilst traffic passes safely, then I'll do it everytime. Its not a race, I am happy to take my time; its impatience and rushing that leads to accidents.

Used to cycle 100 miles a week commuting. Once had the head honcho of a business in the office next to ours angrily waving his hands behind me (and behind the wheel of his electric SUV) as I cycled to leave the car park one day (he was beeping his horn which caused me to turn my head to see him waving). It's a massive car park, with parking for 40 or so small offices on an industrial estate, and one strangled lane in and out. People park unsafely, people don't pay attention, don't indicate etc etc. As a cyclist the only way to have some semblance of safety when leaving this car park in the evening at rush hour is to take the middle of the single lane out. He was angry I had done this, very angry, so angry and frustrated that after the twenty seconds (really all it took get get to a much wider, two lane area) of following me as we fed out of the car park and onto a mini roundabout at its entrance he elected to put his foot down and take the wrong side of the roundabout in order to pass me. Had I not heard him rev and realised his intention I would have been hit by him re-merging from the wrong side of the roundabout into the same lane I would be taking.

Ironically he then got stuck in a long queue of traffic only a few hundred feet down the road, a queue which could be seen from the car park. So, he gained nothing, and I like to think he lost. I took the opportunity of him, trapped in traffic, to stop and have a word with him, share my thoughts.

The next morning he came across me in a corridor, and had the absolute gall to say that if I tried that again (having a word with him) he would call the police, that it had frightened him as he had been the victim of a break in earlier in the year. Told me he was a cyclist himself, and selfish cyclists like me who 'won't get out of the way' give cyclists a bad name.

Told him I was sorry he had been the victim of a break in, and that I'd be happy for him to call the police next time as it would save me the bother of doing so to show them my helmet cam footage.

Used to cycle 100 miles a week commuting. Once had the head honcho of a business in the office next to ours angrily waving his hands behind me (and behind the wheel of his electric SUV) as I cycled to leave the car park one day (he was beeping his horn which caused me to turn my head to see him waving). It's a massive car park, with parking for 40 or so small offices on an industrial estate, and one strangled lane in and out. People park unsafely, people don't pay attention, don't indicate etc etc. As a cyclist the only way to have some semblance of safety when leaving this car park in the evening at rush hour is to take the middle of the single lane out. He was angry I had done this, very angry, so angry and frustrated that after the twenty seconds (really all it took get get to a much wider, two lane area) of following me as we fed out of the car park and onto a mini roundabout at its entrance he elected to put his foot down and take the wrong side of the roundabout in order to pass me. Had I not heard him rev and realised his intention I would have been hit by him re-merging from the wrong side of the roundabout into the same lane I would be taking.

Ironically he then got stuck in a long queue of traffic only a few hundred feet down the road, a queue which could be seen from the car park. So, he gained nothing, and I like to think he lost. I took the opportunity of him, trapped in traffic, to stop and have a word with him, share my thoughts.

The next morning he came across me in a corridor, and had the absolute gall to say that if I tried that again (having a word with him) he would call the police, that it had frightened him as he had been the victim of a break in earlier in the year. Told me he was a cyclist himself, and selfish cyclists like me who 'won't get out of the way' give cyclists a bad name.

Told him I was sorry he had been the victim of a break in, and that I'd be happy for him to call the police next time as it would save me the bother of doing so to show them my helmet cam footage.
Sounds like a right jobsworth..black eye would have sorted it...

He said a woman walked a horse past when he was parked up and it trod on her foot..they checked his tachograph at the time and place...and he was static. Woman got a telling off.

All business vehicles should be equipped with a dash cam there are too many idiots like this who will blame the driver for anything they can think of, i was accused of smashing a door mirror off a car a while ago the cam footage proved otherwise and the person who complained was never heard from again.

I find HGV drivers far better trained these days & the most considerate of drivers. However Transit sized vans are very polarised. They either give you plenty of space or are an absolute menace, there seems to be no middle ground.

Anyone driving anything over 3.5 ton must now carry a CPC card (Certificate of Professional Competence) this explains what it is, it probably goes some way to explain your point about white van man above.

I had to do 5 days to get my first 35 hours in then i got my first CPC card i now do one 7 hour day per year to keep it going, you could in theory do all 35 hours again in one week in the next 5 years but no one i know does as some of the courses are not relevant to non HGV drivers so half of the day may be a complete waste of time but you still have to sit through it to get your 7 hours in.

Last edited:
When driving and I spot a motorcycle behind I try to make it obvious to the rider that I can actually see them...you usually get a nod of appreciation as they pass.
Normally I would pull in a bit especially in traffic if there is a motorcycle behind and usually a nod or a wave as they pass as the same courtesy has been passed to myself many a time.

Just for your information chris-s the same rules apply in the UK
I was very careless with my words. I was thinking of the wrong side in the sense of against the traffic.

I know well that in most circumstances it is better to walk against the traffic but I'm sure not mandatory. The other side might afford more safety in some circumstances.

I'm also not sure that a pedestrian has a right of way except on a designated crossing.

But it doesn't really matter to me, as I always move onto the verge if a vehicle is coming. Partly out of courtesy so as not to force the vehicle to slow or stop, but mostly for self preservation.

Anyway, thanks for the link, it's probably about time I looked at the highway code yet again just in case I missed any changes.

Every time I go out I am close passed at least once, this despite numerous PSNI and media awareness projects

Attachments

• Snapshot - 2.jpg
    Snapshot - 2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Snapshot - 6.png
    Snapshot - 6.png
    307.9 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back