Cyclists.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to think most truck drivers react to cyclists in the manner the one in post 56 does but obviously as you say there are bad ones which don't.

I would like to think most truck drivers react to cyclists in the manner the one in post 56 does but obviously as you say there are bad ones which don't.
One of the worst roads for me is the Via Gellia in Derbyshire. A winding road through a wooded valley with double whites for much of it's length with lots of impatient lorries as there is tipper quarry traffic that use it amongst others. A common one is to sit about 5 metres behind me and rev and change gear and then when they do get the chance to pass they are going so slow that they are in the path of oncoming vehicles and so squeeze me over to the left.
One lorry driver was outstanding in the way that he stayed further back and when the chance to pass cane he had distance to get enough speed up to pass safely. I actually emailed the company and suggested they thank him for that.

After an altercation yesterday with a driver, what I can never understand is, why sooooo much anger and aggression?? It must be awful to be angry at the slightest thing, especially on a weekend morning when the sun is shining. Sad people.

As with all road users there are good and bad truck drivers i consider myself to be the former and always leave cyclists as much room as i can i imagine most of us have had a bike so we all know what its like when a large vehicle gets too close.

This video has been posted before and skip to 2:12.

This is a great video.

After some recommendations in this thread I got a rear camera. I went for the cheaper end of the market, a Giztek rear camera and light combo from eBay. It's not too bad, but quite difficult to make out number plates if you needed it for that.

So anyway, day 1 with the new camera was a perfect commute, every single driver that passed me was brilliant, gave me loads of room. Got me thinking that maybe I was too hard on drivers and maybe I'd been over-estimating the number of close passes.

Day 2 with the new camera, and I got overtaken by a pair of vans that seemed to be racing each other, doing about 60 in a 30 zone. Very scary. I have been doing this commute for many years and I am used to close passes, and this was by far the worst I've had in a long time.

But when I looked at the video, they had pulled out (into oncoming traffic) to give me a little room, there was probably nothing on the video that the police would be interested in, but it was terrifying at the time. I think it would have to be a very close pass to look bad enough on the camera for the police to be interested.

But when I looked at the video, they had pulled out (into oncoming traffic) to give me a little room, there was probably nothing on the video that the police would be interested in, but it was terrifying at the time. I think it would have to be a very close pass to look bad enough on the camera for the police to be interested.
That's the problem with wide angle cameras, everything looks further away

I saw this earlier on twitter (made me smile after an awful wet day at work) we used to have a single tagalong i didn't know you could get a double.

1624635645420.png

Be ok if there were no cars on the road! Probably pretty safe actually surely they would not suffer from the scourge of a cyclist life, the close pass!

Be ok if there were no cars on the road! Probably pretty safe actually surely they would not suffer from the scourge of a cyclist life, the close pass!

We only used to ride on the canal towpath here or on quieter roads, we always used the warning flag (see picture)

I saw this earlier on twitter (made me smile after an awful wet day at work) we used to have a single tagalong i didn't know you could get a double
1624645663324.png
Great picture, those kids look like they are really into it and going all out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back