Czech Pale Lager with 300 minute hop stand? Really?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muppix

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm looking to follow this Brewfather recipe for a Czech Pale and noticed it calls for a 300 minute hop stand at 98℃. That's five hours. At first I thought it might have been a typo but the notes section reads:

"It was no chill , hence the 300min hopstand, though I do not like adding hops to cubes, so I throw them in at flameout and let it all settle down for 10-15mins before transferring to cube (22-23L)"
Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 17.44.58.png
I'm a bit new to all this so I have no idea how such a long hop stand makes up for not being able to chill (or what a cube is, for that matter) but do you think I can get away with a shorter time for the hop stand if I use my counterflow chiller / fermentation fridge? I've already got all of the ingredients on hand, so if you think I can tweak this recipe to shave some of that time off please let me know!

Wait, do you think the 300 minute hop stand refers to the time that the wort spent in the cube (which apparently is just a plastic vessel from down-under) as opposed to 5 hours being heated in the kettle?

Cheers Clint. Think if I kept it at 98℃ in my kettle for 5 hours I'd be left with half a pint of LME. 😁

Latest posts

Back