D (a rye flavoured yeast test - no 1 US05)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
147th 10/01/18 Official title D (as in D&T). 4kg Maris Otter extra light, 500G Rye Malt, 250g Carapils. Hops 20g Centennial (10%) at start of boil, 20g Jarrylo (13.3%) at 15 and then 20G Jarrylo and 20G Amarillo hops at flame out. Yeast for this one is US05 and the OG is 1054 so we will be look at 5.5% or there abouts. Smell at pitch standard malty wort smell with hints of citrus and orange, colour pale straw with a bit of orange tinge. Taste at pitch, smooth and creamy but not as full as some of the beers. Lingering bitterness which is both back and front but not overpowering but definitely long living at bottom and back of mouth. Yep creamy and lasting bitter but not punch in the face bitter. Not a wort I would be guzzling down! IBU is suppose to be a modest 32.

This is the first part of a two part test. The second beer called T is exactly the same profile except I will be using Mangrove Jacks M47 Abbey beer yeast.

148th brew 11/01/18 Official title T second half of experiment using Mangrove Jacks M47 Abbey Yeast. 4kg Maris Otter extra light, 500G Rye Malt, 250g Carapils. Hops 20g Centennial (10%) at start of boil and 5g of Jerry, 20g Jarrylo (13.3%) at 15 and then 20G Jarrylo and 20G Amarillo hops at flame out. I was short of wort at the end boil so added about 4 litres of cold water before pitch. OG is 1050 so we will be look at 5.25% or there abouts. Smell at pitch standard malty wort smell with hints of citrus and orange, colour pale straw with a bit of orange tinge and cloudy. I used Irish Moss instead of Profloc which I had run out of. I quite like the way it clumped the gung together rather better than the Profloc but didn't clear as well as the Profloc. Taste at pitch, smooth and creamy but not as full as some of the beers. Lingering bitterness which is both back and front but not overpowering but definitely long living at bottom and back of mouth. Yep creamy and lasting bitter but not punch in the face bitter. The same as the earlier one then!

Latest posts

Back