Daft question: difference between types of LME?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do this I would recommend you write everything down so you know what you added and you can add less or more if desired next time, this keeps you in control of what you want to make.

Gotcha, thanks. I just ordered some general ale yeast which claims to be good for US Pales among other things, hopefully that'll prove to be a stable all-rounder. I had considered some more specific strains like US-05 as I heard that's great with IPA, but it seems quite expensive on Amazon and if I go to places like Brew2Bottle I get whacked a minimum of £18 for postage.

I'll check out the calculator shortly - stand by for a barrage of questions on IBUs - but getting back to those hops for now I do only have pellets, not leaf, not whole buds. I don't mind them sinking to the bottom of the FV as my syphon / bottling wand has a small bag that's very effective, I just want to make sure that the hops I add during the boil stage don't cause iffy flavours if I leave them in. Using a muslin bag at that stage seems to be a partial waste of hops since it restricts their movement, so I only want to do that if it's necessary in order to protect the flavour.

but getting back to those hops for now I do only have pellets, not leaf
I do all grain in an all in one and always use pellets, IMO you need to add more if you're using a bag as you said, so you're all set to go once you have the yeast then (that looks spot on for what you want to brew). Let me know how it turns out. What hops do you have? I also do kits so I'm not one of those AG snobs 😂

But I'm OK to skip the bag and leave the hops in after boiling, right?

I think an all-in-one system is where I'm heading next too, seriously eyeing up a B40 Pro and a nice shiny Uni-tank.

But I'm OK to skip the bag and leave the hops in after boiling, right?
Yeah, it will cause a bit of debris in the base of the pan, as said run it through the calculator and do a bit of research yourself on this as you need to understand the process. Its all really easy once you know what you're doing, just jump in, you have nowt to lose doing such a small batch.

Yeah, it will cause a bit of debris in the base of the pan, as said run it through the calculator and do a bit of research yourself on this as you need to understand the process.

No worries, thanks again. I had a look at the calculator but it frankly gives me nightmares. So many choices! Quite surprised to find that the Crossmyloof hops I ordered are in there, but the Mangrove Jack's Light LME isn't. Oh well. Think I'll stick with the simple recipe that you posted earlier in this thread, but will adjust proportionally so that I use a full bag of LME in two boils. Since I have plenty of spare FVs I may ferment these individually, maybe dry-hop one of them.

Here's a sample of the brew builder I just put in. It's a bit blurred, sorry.

Brew builder.jpg

let me know what you don't get and I'll try to walk you around it.

Thanks again for all this. I'll have a fiddle with the recipe builder once I'm possession of all the right bits, though this won't be in time for the simple recipe mentioned earlier as I can't find that particular type of LME in the builder. Mind you, there's enough info on the bag so I should be able to match it up with something that's known. Will be OK.

If you look at the last post I sent it says Fermentables and in the pop down box, I have selected extra pale malt which is what yours is. The builder will not make a recipe for you but when you add the ingredients in it will tell you what strength it may be the IBU's will tell you how bitter it will be from the bittering hops (the higher the IBU the bitterer it will be) the SRM will give you an idea of what the colour it will turn out like, I chose some random hops but if you buy a beer from the supermarket or off licence and you like it check the ingredients and it will let you know the hops etc, etc, etc........

I've put together my first extract recipe in the builder and will start a new thread since I've drifted a little off-topic on this one. Many thanks once again to you and everyone else who contributed to bettering my understanding of different types of LME, and the revelation that I (almost) have everything I need in order to take the next step on my brewing journey: my first extract brew.

Out of interest, what made you choose 'extra pale malt' to represent Mangrove Jack's Light LME in the recipe you put together? When I typed 'Liquid Malt Extract' into the builder's Fermentables section I also saw a 'light' option, which seems to make more sense to me - based on nothing more than the name. Unfortunately Mangrove Jack doesn't give me any more detail, so all I have to go on is the name ...

Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 17.03.41.png

A great yeast to have in your store is Wilko gervin (Notty). Good for lots of things!

Can't say I'm not intrigued Clint, what's the craziest concoction you've animated to life with this wee beastie?

To date, my only experience with yeast is a bumper pot of 'wine yeast' (yeah, no more info) from Love Brewing that I used on some cider, and some EC-1118 that we, er, also used on cider. That's about it.

Hi Muppix.... like you I’m still just doing extract kits (as I’m new to all this). But I was looking for ways to maybe kick it up a gear without having to do boils etc as I just don’t have any of the equipment.

I stumbled onto this on YouTube by ‘Cellar Dweller’ (love the name) and it helped me a lot to realize there is a lot you can do with the off-the-shelf liquid extract kits, a few large pots and some porridge 😊It also took away some of the fear about needing to be really really precise with stuff...This guy is totally laid back...

I’m definitely trying this as my next brew as it seems totally doable NEIPA even for a beginner. (Don’t forget to find his Part II where he talks about the dryhopping after a few days)

I stumbled onto this on YouTube by ‘Cellar Dweller’ (love the name) and it helped me a lot to realize there is a lot you can do with the off-the-shelf liquid extract kits, a few large pots and some porridge 😊

Great find, thanks Rusty! I do love a good NEIPA and could listen to this bloke all day, which is something of a rarity for YouTube. Will put this one on the to-do list once I get my first extract brew out of the way.

Latest posts

Back