Dammit!!! Temp skyrocketed to 29c with s-04!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
Yesterday I brewed a stout (kamikaze knitting club) and in my haste to clear everything up I forgot to put the temp probe on the fv- just went to check on it now and it’s merrily bubbling away at 29 bloody degrees! I’ve never managed to get a beer fermenting to this temp even with a saison yeast! Obviously the happy fermenting temp for s-04 is 18-25c, do I dare ask ppl what it will do to my stout??
I’ll try and upload a video of fv activity.

Attachments

• 68174966309__B2F13244-6439-4C9E-BF1B-474CDDAFD36E.MOV
    2.1 MB
Try putting your probe behind a lump of sponge or insulation material and tape it to the fv . It looks like you have an insulated chamber for your fv? Are you controlling a heat source In there? I suspect that your fv isn't actually at 29c unless you have a heat source and the probe was measuring the cooler night time temp outside and kicked the heating on..if you have it? My fv was at 19c yesterday and its taken over 24 hours to bring it down to around 3c so the temp adjustment is very slow.

No I had my brewbelt on it from the start attached to my inkbird controller, that’s the reason the fv kept getting hotter as I failed to attach the probe- it was just dangling and getting the air temp of the cellar. The fv was fully insulated with the jacket and the heat belt on full 😔

I think it'll probably be fine. More ester production is to be expected, although S04 is pretty clean. I've fermented stouts with 'Belgian' yeasts and the fruity esters work well in a Stout.

Fusels are a possibility, but with ageing they will change into fruity flavours too.

Being a Stout, you've the option to age it, good job it wasn't an IPA. It might be a hot mess that ends up being pretty good in time.

If it's genuinely at 29 you'll probably get some fruity flavours but the stout flavour might well swamp those out. I had a treacle stout get up to somewhere round there once which blew the top off the FV. Tasted ok though.
That was with so4. Just checked - it did get to 29. Made a hell of a mess.

Am I doing the right thing now trying to get the temp down to 20c? Or will the rapid fluctuations mess it up further?
I'd remove the insulation and let it do its own thing until nears the low twenties, setting the heat belt to catch any nighttime drops, which are unlikely this week. I think you want it to gradually cool without fluctuating.

No I had my brewbelt on it from the start attached to my inkbird controller, that’s the reason the fv kept getting hotter as I failed to attach the probe- it was just dangling and getting the air temp of the cellar. The fv was fully insulated with the jacket and the heat belt on full 😔
How hot is your cellar?

So...of your brewbelt is plugged into the inkbird and the probe is measuring your cellar temp the heater should not have switched on unless you have the inkbird set too high...

Inkbird set to 19.4, cellar temp 18.5. The probe was reading the cellar temp and thinking the fv needed heating up to get to the set 19.4 so turned the belt on. The probe meanwhile still reading the cellar temp as it’s still dangling down off the stone table so continues to keep the heat belt on

Inkbird set to 19.4, cellar temp 18.5. The probe was reading the cellar temp and thinking the fv needed heating up to get to the set 19.4 so turned the belt on. The probe meanwhile still reading the cellar temp as it’s still dangling down off the stone table so continues to keep the heat belt on
Hmm..what diff. setting have you set on the inkbird..+/- of setpoint?

Latest posts

Back