Dammit!!! Temp skyrocketed to 29c with s-04!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A fan only makes you feel cooler because of evaporation, it doesn't reduce the air temperature
Not true. If the ambient air is colder than the thing you're trying to cool (29° beer), then the fan increases air movement, which cools the beer faster.

But evaporation helps. If you wrap a damp cloth around it and use a fan, it'll cool a lot faster

Last edited:
So obviously very early days still with this beer, having thrown a hydrometer in there it is currently resting at around 1,022. My starting gravity was 1,066.
To put it into perspective a little- the last time I did this recipe I got a starting gravity of 1,070 and it finished at 1,012 just over 2 weeks later.
My question is- given the dramatic temp increase to 29c for the first 24hrs could the yeast have given up too early? I’ve got a spare pack of S-04 I bought on prime as soon as I noticed I’d made a mistake with the temperature rise.
Should I add this extra pack now or should I just wait another week to wait and see?
I’ve attached a picture of my fermentasaurus with hydrometer in the beer.

Attachments

• F9746B7E-0946-424C-8BCE-34DF369794CC.jpeg
    F9746B7E-0946-424C-8BCE-34DF369794CC.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
Your recipe says it will finish at 1.019 and you mashed pretty high. I think it's probably already done. Should have posted this 10 minutes ago ;)

What confuses me about this recipe is that it states 7% at 25 litres and mash temp 69c with a og of 1.072 with maple added in fv yet I got 23litres, mashed at 69 and only got 1.066 oh finishing at 6%.
The original guy must have had crazy good efficiency

What confuses me about this recipe is that it states 7% at 25 litres and mash temp 69c with a og of 1.072 with maple added in fv yet I got 23litres, mashed at 69 and only got 1.066 oh finishing at 6%.
The original guy must have had crazy good efficiency
So this wasn't from DIYDog then?

Mash temp should have been 64°C.
Screenshot_20220812-155244.png

I see they cut the mash time down from 60 to 45 minutes too.

The problem with MM, and other submitted recipe sites, is there no validation and no reasoning behind the changes.

I do the fermentation at ambient temp so thought the 40 degree heatwave would be good for a Saison with CML yeast... turns out it wasn't! Down the sink it went.

I reused the same yeast cake for another batch of Saison two weeks later after it cooled a bit, and it's good!

I do the fermentation at ambient temp so thought the 40 degree heatwave would be good for a Saison with CML yeast... turns out it wasn't! Down the sink it went.

I reused the same yeast cake for another batch of Saison two weeks later after it cooled a bit, and it's good!
What was the first batch like to justify the drain treatment?

Back