Damson porter/stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trummy

Regular.
Reaction score
Been given a recipe for a Christmas drink:

Take 3 pts of stout, 3 lb of Damsons (prick on four sides), 2 lb of Demera sugar. Place all in a demejon agitate well then leave until it works out, strain and bottle.
I am using Festival Old London Porter - will update when its ready - supposed to taste like Port

Been given a recipe for a Christmas drink:

Take 3 pts of stout, 3 lb of Damsons (prick on four sides), 2 lb of Demera sugar. Place all in a demejon agitate well then leave until it works out, strain and bottle.
I am using Festival Old London Porter - will update when its ready - supposed to taste like Port
If it tastes like sherry, then you know its rooted.

I'd boil or freeze the fruit...it'll go off...maybe.
No, the idea is to use the wild yeast on the Damsons - supposed to reach about 16 Abv. Must admit when I had a go at cider using natural yeast I ended up pickling my beetroot in it!

Sounds an interesting idea - given our annual crop of plums I'm up for any ideas for using them. I'm keen to know how it turns out for use next year!

Anna

Syphoned off into new demijohn today - not to impressed with the taste at the moment but early days . Its still working a little.

Bottled it today - gobsmacked how it tastes now! I cannot believe the transformation. I only used 3 pts of Ritchie Old London Porter and ended up with about 4 pints. Little sweet but very pleasant with a long complex after taste. Will leave it now until Christmas.
Hope for a better damson crop next year and more then will follow. Thinking of doing a full body stout as well next time, just to compare it. It is supposed to end up about 15% ABV - not took a SG reading but will do and report back after it has matured

Its good. I am intending making another batch this year. Just tried it again and its lost its sweetness. I am abit under pressure with time but I hope to try a demijohn with plums as well.
Would certainly recommend giving it ago. Still got a bottle capped down to see how it ages.
I have Ritchies OLP and MJ Irish stout (both good) to give a comparison, just waiting for the damsons to ripen - not much sun here this week and away next.

Sounds interesting. Type of thing youd set off now and bring to life for next christmas. I do love a festive type stout

Latest posts

Back