Damson wine recipe advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supersocks

Reaction score
I've a few bags of damsons in the freezer that herself is complaining takes up too much space so I was thinking of making them into a wine.
I had intended to make jam with them when current supplies run out but thats an awful lot of faffing about with the stones so wine seems altogether more fun.

I found a few recipies online and was wondering if anyone has made either one or has any recommendations/one of their own to share?

https://www.lowcostliving.co.uk/home-brewing/dry-damson-wine-recipe/Damson Wine Recipe (this one talks about an "acid blend" - is that malic acid over here?, think its an american website)
Damson Wine Recipe | How to Make Damson Wine | Easy Recipe (I assume Pectic Enzyme is Pectolase by another name?)

hi

I always use this recipe.

https://homebrewanswers.com/damson-wine-recipe/
The only change I have made is to use 50% Pectic Enzyme 50 % Rohavin. I found that my original Damson wine was an amber/orange colour but since I have used the Rohavin it has been a beautiful rose/pink. Also the initial "sampling" at bottling the wine now is not as astringent so hopefully will be drinkable in 1 year not 2 !!
G

Good tip Guzzle thanks, I was hoping to polish some off sooner than a year or two! Patience is a virtue i suppose.

I have found that the resultant wine can vary wildly year on year. I have wine, even after several years storage that would still qualify as paint stripper! Other years the result is sublime. The only variable I can put it down to is the ripeness of the fruit so now I try to use really ripe Damsons. I also de-stone them before freezing.
Hope yours turns out well -Hope we get an update in 1 year. 2 year and 3 years time!
Also check out 'Damson Porter' I make it every year and the result is great, ends up around 15% and is really nice - but have only made it with fresh Damsons

Oh dear, the ones i picked last time were a bit early. The tree only fruits properly every two years and loads were dropping so i said sod it and picked the lot. Sounds like I might have to give yearly updates!

Do you use a cherry destoner or something else?, its an utter curse i find getting the stones out.

Mine were a bit funny this year, they seemed to be dropping before fully ripe. Give them ago - I may be totally wrong re ripeness. I have not made Damson this year, just the Damson Porter plus 4 gall of red currant wine (our favourite) and a gallon of crab apple.

Must admit this year I was late picking the fruit so they were slightly riper than usual. I half and de-stone before freezing. I mix the fruit so there is no one bag with all ripe or unripe. My first batch 2 years ago were mainly unripe fruit as I was still figuring things out - only now is this drinkable - so the length of time to be drinkable may be due to ripeness. One thing - I have not backsweetened and I am glad I didn't. As Trummy says the wine can be like paint stripper but 2 years later my first batch actually has a slightly sweet aftertaste !!
good luck - G

Bottle my first go with fruit using 3kg of damsons from neighbours tree this weekend . After reading you comments I waited until they were falling a very ripe. Batch 2 in Demi John. Tastes drinkable but best left as long as possible before curiosity gets the better of me !

E4AE764B.jpeg

Attachments

• F2856771-57FA-4E88-AD99-68A6E4AE764B.jpeg
    F2856771-57FA-4E88-AD99-68A6E4AE764B.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Back