dan125's 2018 brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pu

I’ll put money on it that it’ll start faster than ever before and will ferment out in record time......

You'd have lost that money - 16hrs from pitching there are zero signs of life.
Its unusal as the reclaimed yeast normally gets going easily within 12hrs.
I'm not panicing yet, but there is no yeast plan B

20190101_100338-1.jpg
it's taken about 36hrs but its finally got going. Phew!
Not sure about reusing this yeast again though.

Right on the limit of lag times but should be ok. How much slurry was it? That looks 28-29 litres you’ve got in there.
Did my usual thing of saving a 500ml bottle taken off the bottom of the FS on the previous brew - probably 300-400ml of actual yeast once its settled in the bottle.
I've been using a single pack of Imperial yeast without a stater in similar brews of late, so was thinking I should have plenty of yeast in the bottle for this low OG bitter.
It was in the fridge for a week or so longer than usual before being used, so maybe this made a difference, but it was still only around 3 weeks old when pitched??
Bit of a mystery but its fermenting away nicely now - just not sure I want to risk using it again in my other competition brew up next

That does sound a bit unusual for a 36 hr lag time if you have followed your same processes as before. Only thing could be in that slurry you had a lower cell count than usual because of how that ferment went or the temp/cold crash that mean not all the cells made it into the bottle?

Latest posts

Back