dan125's 2018 brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a couple of % better efficiency out of the chevallier than expected, and boiled off a litre more than expected with a 90min boil, so ended up with 27L @ 1.055 and a slightly darker looking beer than planned. I did put in the whole 2L starter though as it didn't really get going until this morning so hadn't settled out - that will dilute the OG down a tiny bit I suppose.
Thanks to @EddtheBrew for the recipe inspiration - there'll be a bottle with your name on it.:Cheers:

View attachment 12721

Wow your pushing that to the fill limit dude. Best get some good pressure on that to keep the Krausen down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow your pushing that to the fill limit dude. Best get some good pressure on that to keep the Krausen down.
Yeah I was a bit worried it would be escaping through the spunding valve this morning but its just started getting going - the plan for this one is to keep the pressure low to allow a bit of yeast character to come through.

20180228_181621.jpg
Despite shirking from home for most of the snowy week i haven't drained any trub out of the FS until today.
Here it is just before I took off the bottle.
There was no problem keeping the krausen under control with just a few psi head pressure.

Been thinking about a Fermentasaurus for about 4 months now.
How are you getting on with it?

Been thinking about a Fermentasaurus for about 4 months now.
How are you getting on with it?
This is just my 5th brew in the FS but I really like it - I do think that to make the most of it you need the pressure lid, a spunding valve & access to CO2 to pressure transfer, but would probably also work well without as a standard, but conical FV.
I like the fact that I can brew 28-30L at a time and with a beer gun for bottling what I can't fit in a corny keg packaging is a breeze.

Good to know - thanks Dan. I can see one getting onto my next birthday wish list - with all the accessories of course!

I don't usually bother taking any gravity readings after the OG until I measure the FG when packaging the beer, but as I had a spare picnic tap and length of beer line laying around I could draw off a sample without opening the FS.
1.015 gives 72% attenuation which is the low end of the range for the yeast - I was expecting a lower gravity due to the mash temp so it'll be interesting to see if it comes down any more over the next day or two. Or I'm wondering if the slight head pressure and dissolved co2 is suppressing the yeast a bit and it's not finishing as low as it could.

Attachments

• 20180304_174326.jpg
    20180304_174326.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 83
I don't usually bother taking any gravity readings after the OG until I measure the FG when packaging the beer, but as I had a spare picnic tap and length of beer line laying around I could draw off a sample without opening the FS.
1.015 gives 72% attenuation which is the low end of the range for the yeast - I was expecting a lower gravity due to the mash temp so it'll be interesting to see if it comes down any more over the next day or two. Or I'm wondering if the slight head pressure and dissolved co2 is suppressing the yeast a bit and it's not finishing as low as it could.
Hi Dan,
If it's been fermenting around four - five days , give it two days @ fermenting temp , then cool to 57 °F and rack into a barrel , and prime with a dash of golden syrup solution , then give about two weeks minimum before trying, ( release the excess pressure on the barrel as required),
Cheers
Edd

Hi Dan,
If it's been fermenting around four - five days , give it two days @ fermenting temp , then cool to 57 °F and rack into a barrel , and prime with a dash of golden syrup solution , then give about two weeks minimum before trying, ( release the excess pressure on the barrel as required),
Cheers
Edd
Well it defo seems at all done at 1.015 for 5.3% ABV, so I'm chilling it down now. I wonder whether the chevallier malt produces less fermentable wort than more moder varieties??
The beer is already lightly carbed after fermentig under a little pressure, and I'll put some more CO2 in while its chilling (aiming for lowish carbonation) so there'll be no need for priming when its packaged.

Having a cheeky midweek brewday today to use up all the odds & sods. I'm not exact;y sure how big the whirlpool addition will be until I get the packs out of the freezer, but I know its gonna be less than usual so I'll try adding a tiny amount (1g) of black pepper at flame out to try & lift the hops a bit, after reading about this on a one of @Sadfield 's threads.

Brew92.JPG

Cool, I've not tried the black pepper thing, yet.

For those interested, the Black Pepper addition at flame out came from a Fuller's IIPA recipe where they use 0.039g/L to add extra Linalool, Pinene and Limonene.

Not sure I needed the black pepper in the end as it turns out I had 111g altogther for the whirlpool addition.

Didn't have the greatest brewday ever;
Trying to fit in other, less important things around the brewing I forgot to add the Irish Moss & nutrient.
I'd switched back to the bazooka filter in my pot & 25g magnum pellets was enough to clog it right up, even with 111g of whole hops in the kettle too & I ended up with more trub than ever in the FS.
I also changed my usual BIAB process slightly by 'sparging' with 8L instead of 6L this resulted in a noticably thicker mash, and my efficiency went through the roof to 77%, instead of my usual 70%, for an OG of 1.060.
So I think I've made more of a hazy IPA (again) rather than a APA :laugh8:

LPA1.jpg LPAog.jpg

20180316_180046.jpg
I know its only 20 days since brewday, but it's friday night and it's been bottled since last weekend (force carbed), so i couldn't resist a sample bottle of the Chevallier bitter.
Although being under carbed - i really had to pour from a great height to get this head, its defo got the distinctive nutty chevallier character I've noticed in the couple of other brews I've tried made with it.
It's really hard to get the carbonation right in the FS but I'm learning to give it more than I think it needs and also think I need to drill a new hole in the side of the brew fridge so I can keep a co2 line attached while it cold crashes, rather than just topping up the pressure when it drops.
I still have a couple of bottles not spoken for if anyone fancies a swap.

View attachment 13037
I know its only 20 days since brewday, but it's friday night and it's been bottled since last weekend (force carbed), so i couldn't resist a sample bottle of the Chevallier bitter.
Although being under carbed - i really had to pour from a great height to get this head, its defo got the distinctive nutty chevallier character I've noticed in the couple of other brews I've tried made with it.
It's really hard to get the carbonation right in the FS but I'm learning to give it more than I think it needs and also think I need to drill a new hole in the side of the brew fridge so I can keep a co2 line attached while it cold crashes, rather than just topping up the pressure when it drops.
I still have a couple of bottles not spoken for if anyone fancies a swap.

I would love to do a swap. Have some lagers, IPA's and some other stuff bottled. Will make a list and send you a message. Very interesting read, looking forward to getting a FS.

I would love to do a swap. Have some lagers, IPA's and some other stuff bottled. Will make a list and send you a message. Very interesting read, looking forward to getting a FS.

Nice one BeerCat - that'd be great. Be prepared to pour with vigour though :cheers7:

I had the privilege of drinking Dan's latest neipa last night.

As you can see from the photo it' a lot darker than planned and settled on a similar colour to my attempt. But what does colour matter. This was a true hop bomb. From first opening to the last sip I got the intense hop aroma and taste. The citra seemed to be the dominant hop. Lovely smooth pint and not that bitter.

Thanks for the swap and sorry the photo is a bit poor

Attachments

• 20180316_200806.jpg
    20180316_200806.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 85
I had the privilege of drinking Dan's latest neipa last night.

As you can see from the photo it' a lot darker than planned and settled on a similar colour to my attempt. But what does colour matter. This was a true hop bomb. From first opening to the last sip I got the intense hop aroma and taste. The citra seemed to be the dominant hop. Lovely smooth pint and not that bitter.

Thanks for the swap and sorry the photo is a bit poor
Thanks Leon - it didn't come out as I'd hoped but was defo hoppy.
You're right about the citra, its coming through much more now - it was more tropical fruity when younger. Its amazing how much the hop charter has changed in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Leon - it didn't come out as I'd hoped but was defo hoppy.
You're right about the citra, its coming through much more now - it was more tropical fruity when younger. Its amazing how much the hop charter has changed in a couple of weeks.

When I washed out the bottle this morning it was like opening a can of lilt

Latest posts

Back