Dark farm 10lt kegs versus Cornies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezza

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi
Which is easiest to use/maintain between the two?,
Ideally I would like something I can use from the "off" without having to buy extra fittings ETC.

probably size and cost.

If you do a 19l brew then a corny would be the better option.

i do a 25l brew and use a 19l corny (for use on tap) and then put the left over in a 10l corny for bottling.

A lot comes down to the price you can get cornies for, especially the 10 l ones.

I also have 4 litre kegs similar to the dark farm ones so you will probably end up getting a mix of both. Oh and you will always be buying extra fittings :laugh8: :beer1:

Both the cornies and the kegs use the same ball lock fittings and connections so no real difference there. They are interchangeable between the formats and you can fill kegs from cornies and vice versa, so in many ways they are interchangeable and complementary. Structurally the main difference is that the cornies have a fixed metal dip tub, with a slightly recessed base whereas the kegs have a flexible silicone dip tube.

Price wise cornies are cheaper on a per litre basis and the keg format only seem to go up to 10L.

I started using a 2L kegger for beer from my local 'beer shop' and when I got into home brew I considered expanding into more kegs but ultimately decided on cornies instead. Reasons were
a) size - better suited to brewing
b) price
c) they are a proven reliable product.

One think that the kegs outperform on is aesthetics. They look good and their smaller, thinner size makes them easy to transport or put in the fridge. This may be important to you.

I had considered using cornies for bulk storage and kegs for dispensing in the house, however I subsequently went down the kegerator route for dispensing.

I've recently bought a Dark Farm 10L so looked into this, these were the right solution for me.
  • Pros: portable, lightweight, simpler solution, take up less room, use CO2 cartridges so don't need a gas bottle, look better.
  • Cons: more expensive, less volume, doesn't fit in the fridge so will be hard to keep cool in summer, uses a number of CO2 cartridges if you want to force carbonate (I don't).
I may eventually move to cornies but this was a good introduction to this type of kegging.

Does anybody sell a Cornie with all the fittings included so I could.......... just fill and go?.

His kits have had some great reviews and i am not surprised you didn't mind paying full price for the quality i just wondered if you had been looking when he had put an offer in the sponsor area as he and the other sponsors occasionally do. ;)

Must admit it didn't occur to me,I will when I buy Sodastream adapter.

Back