Dark Farm Keg dispenser

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Dark Farm Kegs look really smart.
Definitely interested.

Would you carbonate your brew using those 16g CO2 cartridges, or do you carbonate with sugar, and just use the CO2 carts to serve?

Those Dark Farm Kegs look really smart.
Definitely interested.

Would you carbonate your brew using those 16g CO2 cartridges, or do you carbonate with sugar, and just use the CO2 carts to serve?

I’ve had a couple of the 5L kegs for a couple of years now. I’d batch prime a brew and fill a keg along with the bottles. A couple of purges when I put the tap on meant I didn’t blow a whole CO2 capsule carbonating.
Now I’ve got a gas tank I’ll be getting a ball lock connector and at least 1 10L once everything is back in stock.

I do the same as Alastair70. I batch prime my brew, bottle half and the rest goes into two 5 litre kegs. I use the bulbs for serving only and manage to use only 1 bulb per 5 litre keg. It starts getting expensive if you force carbonate using bulbs.

Guys, if you batch prime rather than force carbonate, do you not pull up sediment (from the fermentation that carbonates the brew) from the bottom of the keg? Or is it maybe on the first pour only?

I leave my kegs for 3 - 4 weeks before pouring the first drink which may have a little sediment in it but not much. There is very little sediment or beer left in the keg when it runs dry. I use a filter bag (like those in the Festival kits) over the end of my siphons when transferring to the bottling bucket and also when bottling/kegging and have found that I never get much sediment in bottles either. I don't slosh my kegs around to disturb the sediment which helps.

Back