Dark Farm Keg dispenser

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chavard

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking to step into the kegging world to reduce brewing time through forced carbonation, specifically looking at the dark farm keg dispenser system. Looks simple and easy to use but relatively expensive. wondered if anyone has any thoughts on whether this is the best system out there for small batches?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Guys,

I am looking to step into the kegging world to reduce brewing time through forced carbonation, specifically looking at the dark farm keg dispenser system. Looks simple and easy to use but relatively expensive. wondered if anyone has any thoughts on whether this is the best system out there for small batches?

Thanks in advance!
No-one replied? I can guess why. Your question requires a bit of diplomacy to answer (and I say no more on that). Diplomacy mode engaged ...

Mini-kegs make a fine option to 19L Corny kegs (the most obvious advantage being 19L may not be considered a small batch). How long the sale of Corny kegs continue is anyone's guess, but new Corny kegs are quite a price and Corny kegs have their less-desirable features to contend with. Mini-kegs can be a bit more expensive, but have their advantages over Corny kegs. Purchasing complete mini-keg systems from Dark Farm (and others) avoids having to assemble the knowledge of what you'll need.

There are less expensive options out there for the same piece of kit. I've spent hours over the last few days looking at 5L mini kegs and 6.5L Corny kegs, on many different home brew suppliers' websites, debating what way to go. I had more or less decided on The Home Brew Store's version, but that wee voice of reason in my head keeps saying, 'but you don't need it right now'. 😁

For the keg (complete with dispensing lid, with gas and beer posts), tap with disconnect, mini regulator and gas disconnect, I think it was about £120

Also, the reason I was ready for going down the 5L EasyBrew Mini Keg route, is because the dispensing lid posts are of the ball lock type, so if I decide to buy a 19L Corny keg at a later date, the same fittings that I bought to fit the mini keg will fit the Corny keg. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: just noticed that the Dark Farm keg also comes with quick disconnect, solid looking metallic ones instead of plastic. Also, the keg is double-walled, which I don't think the EasyBrew keg is. Also, I was pricing up the assembly using a simple tap - the dark farm one is a tap with flow control. There's reasons for the difference in price.

Last edited:
I've got one of the Dark Farm ones, 10L version with fixed flow-control tap not the disconnect.

Yes they are expensive but then so are a lot of things: mobile phones, road tax, fuel, etc. Why do some homebrewers seem to be obsessed with price compared to other things they spend money on in their household? For me it's the perfect solution, it's stand-alone so I don't need another gas bottle and a load of pipework in the house, it allows me to half-keg and half-bottle my brews, and it's way better than the old plastic kegs I used to use. Early days still but I'm really happy with it, a quality piece of kit, and have already forgotten how much it cost. There was a HBF discount available when I bought mine, not sure if that is still available? That made the difference for me.

I tried the code provided by Gareth from Dark Farm, but it's expired now. Might be handy to have another one ☺

I won't be in a position to buy one for a couple of months though - got a new house and a Brewzilla foremost on the list of purchases. However, presented with a 15% saving on the 5L Keg versus the price of the others that I've seen, I would be very tempted to shell out the extra 30 or 40 quid. As kegs go, it's a good looking one too!

Hey guys thanks for the amazing comments. We've had to hike the prices up this year due to the increased shipping costs - which have gone up by almost 300% since September last year. It looks like they will fall again after Easter, fingers cross.

We love our kegs an pride our selves on quality and listen to your feedback. Our last batch of 5L we're double walled almost 2 kegs in one, amazing bit of kit but they weren't cheap. We are bringing back the single walled kegs again late in spring, plus a new regular tap to bring the price down further with out loosing the quality. So you'll have a few options depending on your budget.

Our customers have been great and its made this venture so much fun - it has also supported our Hop Farm development which is really exciting. If you want to support us more please join our Hop Club. 10% off shop items, MASHED! magazine and of course some lovely lovely hops.

HBF discount will be back soon, just waiting for new stock.

I got a 5L dark farm keg after looking around at a lot of other cheaper ones. Double walled and high quality was worth spending a little extra on for something that Ill probably keep for many years.
I have 10 corny kegs but fancied a couple of smaller ones to take with me when going away somewhere, I decided to just get one for now to see how good it is then buy another when I can actually go away somewhere.... Ill be getting another dark farm one when the time comes

I've got one of the Dark Farm ones, 10L version with fixed flow-control tap not the disconnect.

Yes they are expensive but then so are a lot of things: mobile phones, road tax, fuel, etc. Why do some homebrewers seem to be obsessed with price compared to other things they spend money on in their household? For me it's the perfect solution, it's stand-alone so I don't need another gas bottle and a load of pipework in the house, it allows me to half-keg and half-bottle my brews, and it's way better than the old plastic kegs I used to use. Early days still but I'm really happy with it, a quality piece of kit, and have already forgotten how much it cost. There was a HBF discount available when I bought mine, not sure if that is still available? That made the difference for me.
That's fair comment, but I was following the thread hoping someone might come up with something similar, but better value for money than the Dark Farm offering. I like the idea of 5 and 10 litre kegs- you can put them easily in the fridge to cool- but I'm not sure about all the pipes and taps and dispense gubbins which makes the thing look like an oil refinery.

I like the idea of 5 and 10 litre kegs- you can put them easily in the fridge to cool- but I'm not sure about all the pipes and taps and dispense gubbins which makes the thing look like an oil refinery.

I am not sure why you say gubbins that make them look like an oil refinery, to me they looks tidy and straight forward to use and i have never used kegs, people like shiny and there's plenty of that on show.

Better value for money usually means cheaper you may find cheaper but are you going to get the same quality i would say no and DF don't seem to have many competitors if any.

1611767484843.png
1611767532201.png

1611767423499.png
1611767452315.png

Last edited:
Very probably. My nephew got one before Christmas and I think he's very happy with it. I'll talk to him again when he's put a few more brews through it. Yeah. The first and third pictures look as if the dispense stuff is quite vulnerable and susceptible to getting knocked and damaging the keg. The last picture looks tidier, but that might just be the angle.

Thanks for the additional pictures. Everything looks sound and sturdy in itself and of good quality. It's the overall assembly that looks like it would be more comfortable in orbit. Nevertheless, I've resolved to do some kegging this year. I wonder whether Gareth has these specially made or whether they're a standard unit with "Darkfarm" stamped on them. No offence implied to Darkfarm, but this is my first foray into kegs. I suspect I'm not alone. And, as @darrellm pointed out, they're not especially expensive for what they are.

Last edited:
No-one replied? I can guess why. Your question requires a bit of diplomacy to answer (and I say no more on that). Diplomacy mode engaged ...

Mini-kegs make a fine option to 19L Corny kegs (the most obvious advantage being 19L may not be considered a small batch). How long the sale of Corny kegs continue is anyone's guess, but new Corny kegs are quite a price and Corny kegs have their less-desirable features to contend with. Mini-kegs can be a bit more expensive, but have their advantages over Corny kegs. Purchasing complete mini-keg systems from Dark Farm (and others) avoids having to assemble the knowledge of what you'll need.
Hi Peebee , i would hazard a guess there will be a lot of second had cornys on the market with the state of the hospitality industry

Hey guys thanks for the amazing comments. We've had to hike the prices up this year due to the increased shipping costs - which have gone up by almost 300% since September last year. It looks like they will fall again after Easter, fingers cross.

We love our kegs an pride our selves on quality and listen to your feedback. Our last batch of 5L we're double walled almost 2 kegs in one, amazing bit of kit but they weren't cheap. We are bringing back the single walled kegs again late in spring, plus a new regular tap to bring the price down further with out loosing the quality. So you'll have a few options depending on your budget.

Our customers have been great and its made this venture so much fun - it has also supported our Hop Farm development which is really exciting. If you want to support us more please join our Hop Club. 10% off shop items, MASHED! magazine and of course some lovely lovely hops.

HBF discount will be back soon, just waiting for new stock.
Been looking today at minikegs, corny kegs and all things kegging as I've realised I don't have enough bottles for the 2 brews on the go and the 4 brews' worth of grain and hops I've got in the garage!!!

Looking forward to hearing about the new stuff you've got coming online and the HBF discount in the offing too!!

The problem with expanding your keg itinerary is that you end up expanding your brewing to fill the capacity. I've brewed a Helles, an American Amber and an Imperial Stout since Christmas, and I've just got the grains delivered for an IPA. And given the liking that my other half has taken to the Helles, I'll have to another lager on the go pretty soon.

Latest posts

Back